Check this out and try it

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by NoCompanyIT, Jan 13, 2009.

1. NoCompanyIT

NoCompanyIT Nibble Poster

I was scanning the yellow pages online last Monday for companies that provide computer services in the local area. Some of the results provide links to websites, so I scanned a few of them and came across one that seemed right.

They had a vacancy for Network Engineer but it required 2 years experience, so I contacted them by email and asked if I could volunteer in a role like this. I phoned them 2 days later but couldn't get through to the person in charge. Then today, Monday, I got a call from them telling me they have some job openings and would I like to go for a chat later today. It was barely 5 mins but I got what I asked for, sort of. They will give me a 1 week trial on the helpdesk and offer me the job if I am suitable.

I have read the horror stories of helpdesk work on this forum and my mind started when he said helpdesk, but I thought, I've never done it before, I may as well try it out for a week to see what it's like. The company is an IT services company and is pretty small, he told me they have around 15 calls per day and have a team on the helpdesk and the role is varied. Asking me if I was ok with the phone, stress and that I had to be dynamic...no, but I'll try it out at least. If I like it then I can apply for these job roles or land a job there, if I hate it then I know helpdesk is not for me.

Certifications: Bsc (1st)
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Well done and good luck !

Just remember to keep calm, try to understand how the person phoning in feels and understand that their level of knowledge of IT may not be very high. Also don't try to blag your way through - if you don't know the answer say so and either pass the call on to someone who does or find out the answer.

I'm sure you'll do fine and, as you say, it will give you the opportunity to see if you enjoy that sort of work.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Applaud that man!

Keep this up and you will go far. IT is about being creative and thinking outside of the box as well as being logical and methodical.

Seriously impressed.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Good strategy. Kudos.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I concur! Well done! Let us know how it all goes. The best of luck to you.

If all else fails, it's a good place to meet women. :wink:

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Good stuff.

I recently did the same thing. Sent an email enquiring about possible job openings even though there were none advertised. I heard back from them yesterday that they are looking for someone for a 20-40% position at the moment and if some part time work was okay with me to get in contact with them.

The point is, even though companys are not advertising (and even if they are), contacting them even just to enquire about possibilities brings results.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Well done and good luck. Before you start your trial period, have a read through an article written by our friend Arroryn back in September 2007.

She gives some insight into what it's like to work in First Line support.

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  8. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Do you have a template that you use Nugget?

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I started with a small IT services company when I first got into IT... it was a *great* start to my career. Got to do PC service calls, with the occasional server support call. Plus, they started letting me manage the Windows NT and Exchange 5.5 servers they had, so I started getting some good server experience along with my desktop support experience. One customer liked me so much, they hired me up as a Systems Admin doing server and desktop support. So... fear not! This could be a great opportunity!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Queeg

Queeg Bit Poster

I say if you want to find out what it's like to work at a helpdesk everyday then take as many calls as possible. I dreaded the thought of having to answer the phone all day, but I actually quite enjoy it now. If you're fortunate enough to be working at a company that has regular clients, rather than speaking to strangers all of the time, then you actually form relationships with people.

At least that is what it's like for me. If you haven't done much customer service before then it can be quite a lot to take onboard.

Certifications: MCTS, MCDST, A+, Network+
  11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Nice use of initiative and thanks for sharing:), best of wishes too and be calm and give it all your best.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I applaud you too, i am a great believer in being proactive, if you sit around waiting for the phone to ring, you will be sitting around for a long long time.

Good luck!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. NoCompanyIT

NoCompanyIT Nibble Poster

Thanks for the link to the article Alex.

The only thing I'm concerned about is to what extent a caller will behave disrespectfully. If someone started shouting and swearing at me I could not take that, I'd just have to put the phone down, I'd have no idea how to deal with it because it would get to me personally.

Certifications: Bsc (1st)
  14. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

The last thing you should do is take it personally. Why should you? This person doesn't know you so what they're saying can hardly be personal. They're also not in a normal frame of mind and I think everyone here has done and said things when we're angry that we didn't mean and later regretted. Shrug it off and take some inner pleasure from knowing they're going to feel like a complete idiot once they've calmed down.

Also, I imagine there will be a company procedures on dealing with abusive callers. That could make a good interview question actually *scribbles note to self*. Follow whatever guidelines your company or supervisor give you and you won't go wrong. I imagine most companies take a dim view of clients shouting and swearing at their staff.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  15. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I have had a couple of calls myself of that nature- you just have to ignore (and solve if possible) them and move on ;)
    I honestly didn't know what 1st line support would be like (part of my was dreading the phone calls like yourself) , but I'm actually enjoying it. I've learnt a lot of stuff since being here.
    I work for a small company, so I end up having a rather varied day!

16. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

If people are abusive to you the best thing you can probably do is dont work yourself up about it, listen to what they are saying, then give them a warning about their tone/language whatever and tell them that you will have to abort the call if they continue to speak to you in that manner.

If they continue to be abusive then you have warned them and just before cutting them off it would be a good idea to suggest to them to wait until they have calmed down before phoning back as it will help in getting their problem solved quicker!

I tend to find if they are a bit arsey then if you just listen and sympathize with them (even if they are being a numpty) then they quickly calm down and eventually apologize. But it is quite fun when you have to end the call after a warning for two! :biggrin

Click... Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  17. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Just a quick update to this. I now have an interview scheduled with the company for monday 26th.

For those of you still oput there and looking, don't stop sending out letters/emails. It truly does bring results.:p

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  18. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Happy days!