Cheap Servers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jackd, May 28, 2006.

1. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Does anyone know any places where i could get a cheap server. Ive had a look on ebay and the prices + postage seem to be very high on them.

Jack

2. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Ask friends and maybe coworkers.

I asked a few people at church if their companies donate old machines to non-profitable organizations. I now have 2 W2K servers on the way, both with Raid-5 installed.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

You could get a brand new Dell server - (SC054301) Dell PowerEdge SC430 SATA for £199.00 (ex vat and delivery).

That's pretty stripped down, with no OS or warranty, but it's a brand new Dell server.

It all depends on what you are really looking for. A cheap PC that you can install a server class OS on? There is nothing wrong in doing that, it's what I did for part of my home test setup. Bought an Asus Terminator barebones system, added a few parts, I had a full working system for around about £100. It's not quite as powerful as the Xeon's and Dual core Pentium D servers I use at work, but it's enough to work well as a DC in my test environment.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Modey,

Got any links for the Dell stuff mate?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Jack - what is this server going to be doing ? Theoretically, a pretty low spec machine could run a server OS, so if you mean to take a cert, then you could do it very cheaply. Or are you planning on running a web, mail and file server, or a domain controller - even Exchange, SQL or ISA maybe ? In these cases you would be looking at a lot more grunt for a decent performance.

As always, a bit more info will let us help you a little better :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Sure thing, link here.

That was just from following www.dell.co.uk, small businesses, servers ...

Heh, just customised that SC430 and added every optional extra possible, maxed every piece of hardware, £199 becomes £4368 ex vat and delivery. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

thanks Modey. I am still toying with the idea of setting up a *real* test network in the house. The only drawback being space.
    Have started to use Virtual PC, but would like a *real* server with 2 domain controllers....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Im looking for a server thats about low spec just so it can be paired up with my other dc. So not asking for much.

9. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

First question - what are you using the server for?

If it is for home study any PC will do

If it is for a work production server buy the best you can afford.