Cheap server to run ESXi

Discussion in 'VMware Certifications' started by Beerbaron, Jun 22, 2012.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

It probably won't work as ESXi's HCL is pretty slim and mostly geared towards server grade hardware and not your cheapo desktop stuff, saying that however using vmware workstation is a viable solution but still by the time you've paid for the winblows and workstation licence you might have well bought a g7!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yeah the HCL is there for big businesses that want buy server grade kit, not really for your home lab commodity hardware setup.

The microservers and even those G7's are't proper servers either, really they are cheapo desktops with couple server features

I heard the main issue was having a device that ESXi can boot off ? Hence people using USB keys as they had non supported SATA controllers.

If its an intel chipset mobo with i7 processor, what are the real limitations ?

3. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

I got a nice email last week :D

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  4. Beerbaron

I'm having a problem getting my ESXi iSCSI adaptor seeing the iSCSI targets on my OpenFiler server. These are 2 separate physical servers that can ping each other fine. I've used both static and dynamic discovery using IP and host name. I have set the Management Network to accept Promiscuous mode which is what I'm using under network configuration VMKernal port binding. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I can't remember openfiler very well but is there an acl you have to set to allow esxi to see openfiler iscsi targets

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

If you go to my blog vmFocus and look at the VCP 4.1 Study Guide I go over setting Openfiler up mate.

HTH

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. Beerbaron

Yes there is a Network Access Configuration section where you put the IP and subnet of the connecting server.

I will give it a read. I have read a few other blogs but havent been able to resolve the issue yet.