Cheap ESXI Server list

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by dales, Oct 14, 2008.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Seeing as zeb snapped up some cheap ml115's recently I wonder if any of you lot have noticed some cheap servers that would do the job with esxi.

I'll start off the list with the following but if you spot a bargin stick it here and we can all be the wiser!

dell poweredge sc440 rough cost £179 ex vat (beware of dell shipping cost £60)
    fujitsu-siemens econel 100 139.99 ex vat (misco)

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Just thought i'd let you know of a purchase I made this week. I splashed out and bought myself a dell poweredge sc440. I bought the server with pretty much the bog standard spec, no SAS controller just normal SATA 1gig of memory and a 2.1 dual core xeon processor. Total cost was about £250 quid.

I know that a 1 gig isnt much memory but I'd thought I'd prove that it works before splashing out on more. I'm pleased to say that vmware ESXI works a treat on it without any fiddling around, you dont need any fancy SAS controllers or posh network cards it all works straight out of the box.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

fraid you might be out of luck with that I contacted dell about the t105 (we're a dell workstation and server outfit so I've got an account manager), they said that the t105 is not compatible with vmware at all. But you never know worth a try!

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ack well, I *think* they can run Hyper-V but Im not 100% sure.They are still sitting in the Dell boxes just now and I havent really looked into the specs in great detail.

At least they can run Server 2008 for testing. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard