Changing user account names

Discussion in 'Software' started by nugget, Jan 20, 2009.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi all. I have the following task that I need to do, namely changing some user accounts to reflect that the ladies have gotten married and have changed their names.

Here is our basic set up

Account name: LastnameFirstInitial eg. SmithJ
    User Folders: follow the same format as account name
    Email Account: [email protected] eg. John.Smith@...

Is there anyone with any experience with having done this and what are the gotchas that I would have to look out for?

Or would it just be easier to create a new account and email for the ladies involved?

TIA

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

We used to do this all the time (they still do, I dont).

What we did was:

Rename the account - you need to remember to update the SAM, UPN, displayname, forename and surname details. Update the Exchange alias name.

Add a new email address for the new name, and set it to primary (we leave the old address on the account for about 1 month to allow a crossover time).

In AD, right-click on the user and select rename in order to change how it displays in the list - trust me, its a pain in the arse if you dont.

Rename the users folder to the new name.

That really is all you have to do normally to rename the users account.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I update surname and description, but never rename the account as it would muck up the synchronisation we have with our DMS.

If the user doesn't want to log in using their married name (and this has no procedural imlications) then just a change of these details should suffice I would have thought?

Oh, and manually adding in their new SMTP records and changing their primary SMTP :)

(was doing this this morning, what a coincidence!)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Its a pain for sure...

When we have to do it, we do pretty much what Fergal has said - with no problems to date.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks for the advice. Is there anything else to watch out for like users ownership/permissions etc that might be tricky?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

No, you wil be fine as the GUID is used for identifying the account, not the display name.

For me I just right click on the account in AD and select rename. Also check the email addresses as well as the user will probably want to keep her existing email address as an alias.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs