Changing External Mail Server...

Discussion in 'Software' started by nXPLOSi, Jan 8, 2009.

1. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

So, long story short - I recently changed my company's external mail server due to a few issues with the old one. The change went pretty smoothly and its now been a good 40 hours since the change, and as far as I can tell its been propagated fine.

The only slight concern i've got is that our spam has dropped massively since the change. Although I've had no complaints about people not receiving normal emails etc, im a little worried there may be an issue.

Any ideas or thoughts?

:blink

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

You will see a drop in spam with the server move, most spam comes from zombie networks and they tend to be slow to pick up DNS changes. Largely because they aren't doing it via the normal routes.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - just like me. Something bad stops happening and I automatically think something's rotten in Denmark :D

Josiah's right - although the amount of botnet spam has dropped off quite a lot since the storm botnet went offline, 90% or more is still easily traceable to zombie PCs and any decent reputation-based antispam soultion will kill most of this before it even gets to your new hosted server. Also, a company that provides dedicated mail hosting should have much better anti-spam systems in place than the average internal mail architecture - it wouldn't surprise me if the one you've moved to is better than your old one.

Speaking as someone who has implemented multi-layered antispam before you'd be surprised just how much difference adding a reputation-based (SLS) system can make. The last job I was in I put an Ironmail cluster in front of Trend (which was allegedly already doing SLS) and SmurfControl - I saw a drop of around 21% in spam reaching inboxes.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Lol 8)

Thanks Zeb and Josiahb, very helpful.. :)

The new server does boast that it is good against spam, so its hopefully that is kicking in as well as suggested, great stuff.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012