Changes

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by sainge, Oct 13, 2005.

1. sainge

sainge New Member

Well it's been a while since i last posted, dues to things taking a turn for the worse.

I recently got made redundant from the job i was in for 2 and half years as systems administrator at a small software development company. This news didn't really come of much as a shock, as i had been expecting it for a while.....

I had been on the look out for a new job for a few months prior, and it was only at this stage that i realised how tough the market was.

Since being made redundant I've been to a few interviews however haven't found a job that really interests me and so turned them down. These jobs have been along the lines of helpdesk etc.... and its really not something that i wish to do.

The reason for me being put forward for these positions was due to the fact that the company i worked for was of a small size and so i couldn't move into a similar position within a larger organisation........ if that makes sense :oops:

Ideally i would like to get into network design and systems integration at some point, and really looking for some advice on how to get there.

Other problems i've had are to do with my young age and such little experience coupled with the fact of being a systems administrator at the last company.

Question is what do i do and where do i go? :rolleyes:

Sorry for rambling on, and thanks for reading

Sam.

Certifications: MCP (70-210) W2K
    WIP: MCSA
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I suppose it depends at least on how long you can make it financially while unemployed. While it's true that you don't have to take a job if it's offered to you, you might be making a mistake by holding out.

You mention that you are unlikely to get a job similar to the one you had at a larger firm. However, if you took a "lesser" job at one of these places, you would have the chance to prove yourself and to demonstrate your abilities. You would also be generating an income and unless you are independently wealthy, you probably have bills to pay.

If the job turns out to be a dead end, you could continue to look for something else, but at least you'd be getting a steady paycheck while you were looking.

JMHO. Good luck, Sam.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I agree, any work is better than no work. It's also good for filling in time gaps on your CV, if you've got new jobs quicker it looks better than having longer gaps of unemployment.

In this same vein you could consider contracting until the right position comes up, that way you're not comitted but are still in work. Not sure which search engines you're using to look for jobs but I am using Jobserve and contractorUK which searches 4 sites for you, there's an urgent contracts page here and the non urgent search engine here.

My advice would be not to turn down any more jobs, even if you can survive financially do it for your career history on your CV.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Pretty much what they guy's have already said, take work, as it will look good on your CV. You may also find that it is easier to get a job if you have one.

8)

5. sainge

sainge New Member

Well thanks for the replies.

I've given it some more thought and think i may do some contracting untill the right job comes along, as suggested by Pete01.

Had a look at the links provided and think i may have found something suitable to last me for a few months

Thanks for all the advice

Certifications: MCP (70-210) W2K
    WIP: MCSA
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Good luck, sainge.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

the guys are totally right Sainge, I work for Apple and even tho I hate the job (the staff are great but its the customers!!) I am still working and looking for another job at the same time...cos its better to be in a job and looking for work than not working and making it harder for yourself...cos when u r not working you get used to being lazy until one day life hits u right in the face...has happened to me a few times...so get out there get the helpdesk job (which is something I really want to do) and even if u dont get another job within the first year or so it dont matter at least ur in a job and it will look better on you CV...go for it...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life