Challenging times ahead

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zxspectrum, Sep 18, 2016.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

So, I will be entering my 4th week of employment in my new job and I dare say the brown stuff will hit the fan at some point. Although i have been working my backside off i think I could have done better in areas. The 3 days of last week I was on my own as the other techie who works with me was off sick, bearing in mind he has only been there the same mount of time as me.......

I reckon I will need to put in some major overtime to get things to a decent point for people to be happy and I know there is a mountain of stuff I will learn but thats all part of the fun..... isnt it?

I will need some coping strategies I dare say so if anyone has any please feel free to pass them on

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. TekGlitch

TekGlitch Bit Poster

Just do your best, I think if people see that you're trying they are more acceptable when things are not running 100% smoothly. To be fair, being left on your own in a new situation is never pleasant, especially if a problem comes up and you need support. Be straight explain the situation, say you will work to find a solution but it may not be instant and you'll be OK.

3. zxspectrum

Without a shadow of a doubt. I would work my notice mind.

But then I would travel the world and fight with lions etc

Ed

4. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

hey man, what's to say that your boss might recognize what you've been doing, and no brown stuff will hit any rotating device at all.

As long as your confident you're doing to the best of your ability, that's all you can do, not your fault the other guy's been out

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  5. Idunno

Idunno Bit Poster

As long as you've been honest on your CV and during the interveiw process their expectations should not be unatainable. If you are commiting to overtime what more can they reasobably expect of you. The issue here is if the company is not reasonable in their expectations and during times where work is scarse this can be an issue.

As the others have suggested remain calm, positive and give it your best.

Good luck.

Certifications: HND IT, MCP: 70-290, 073, 067, 068. Prince2 Foundation
    WIP: LFS101x.2, ITIL V3
  6. zxspectrum

Cheers Guys.

I think things are starting to come together and I am getting some help, but will it all be ready for next week? Im not 100% on that.

Also the other post that is totally unrelated to this one, was a rush message for another topic

Ed