Certified Ethical Hacker...

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by mattwest, Apr 20, 2007.

1. juniper

juniper New Member

thanks dude

i was hoping to get away with it by studying at home but i spose they need to make their
    money somehow. Shame they are not like microsoft exams where u can just take the exam.

I might still buy the material, it will help me and theres nuggets too...found them on ebay for cheap.

2. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Heya, I had a mate who wrote a Ethical Hacking Course for 7Safe I believe in Cambridge. If anybody needs any info on this course or w/e It entails I can allways get some info of him. PM me.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  3. glasgowgolfer

glasgowgolfer Bit Poster

Guys, ive been looking all over trying to find the best & (cheapest) place to do the CEH & CHFI, so far the cheapest bootcamp is in India @ Koenig , they will train you one on one for 5 days for around £850 ,(per Exam) thats one instructor all to yourself , you go @ your pace and that includes a serviced appartment or hotel, all meals and the exam @ the end, its cheaper if you wish to do it in a group,(return flight from UK around £400-£500, i too have been dogged by training companies after i expressed my interest in taking a course, i have been told it is possible to do this through self-study as long as your employer will confirm you have had some security experience, as a CCNA i have been involved with setting up access lists & worked with firewalls so i am hoping this will be enough to allow me to sit their exam, i aquired some CEH training videos(career academy) from ebay along with some cryptography books, hacking for dummies, wireless hacking for dummies, Hacking Exposed 5th Edition: Network Security Secrets and Solutions & im looking to purchase an official book from CEH, im hoping this will see me through, EC-Council have just released V6 of the CEH exam but you can still sit the V5 untill June 2009, the exam can be taken through Prometric for £137 im hoping to have both Certs within 6 months as im studying around 20 hours per week, sooner would be great, i have started seeing more & more Police Forces placing Vacancies for Civillian Computer Forensic investigators , and this is where i ultimately see myself,
    cheers.

Certifications: CCNA Comp tia A+ , Juniper , Extreme.
    WIP: CEH , CHFI
  4. Firebrand-Robert

Firebrand-Robert Bit Poster

5. smith.dyer

smith.dyer New Member

6. jessica_wesley

jessica_wesley New Member

Hello

I have recently completed a ethical hacking course in uni that covers most of the CEH course, does anyone know if i can just do part of the course and the exam or do i have to start again ?
    also does anyone know anywhere in Glasgow that does the course, im hoping to do it over the summer before i go back for my last year.

Many Thanks

Jessica

WIP: Networking & Systems support degree
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

What aspects of the CEH did your course cover? You'd be surprised just how useless most of the stuff you're learning in Uni really is in the 'real world' :biggrin

I believe you need either two years' experience in an IT security role (full-time and purely IT security, not 'sys admin with a bit of firewalls thrown in') and to have taken an accredited CEH training course prior to being accepted for the exam (though I could be wrong on that - the EC-Council seem to change their rules regularly). That was certainly the case when I sat it (three years ago now)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. jessica_wesley

I did Trojans and Backdoors,Footprinting, Scanning, Enumeration, System Hacking, Sniffers, Denial of Service
    Social Engineering, Session Hijacking, Web Application Vulnerabilities,SQL Injection,Virus and Worms, IDS, Firewalls and Honeypots,Buffer Overflows
    so of the 21 topics we covered 15 or so of them. I think ill end up asking my lecturer wheres best to do it and what ill need to do.

9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yeah, that's pretty comprehensive. What sort of practical did you do? A lot of the course material is theory, but there is a fair amount of practical involved as well, which will give you more of an understanding of putting the actual techniques into practice. If you look on the EC-Council website, I'm pretty sure they'll tell you whether you need to take a paid-for course and/or be specifically working in the security industry prior to taking the exam.

Also, it would probably benefit you to know that 98% of the material on the CEH is utterly useless in the real world as it deals with attacks on Windows 2000 pre-SP2 or Windows NT pre SP4 - and if there's anyone out there with systems running these O/Ses that you can access from the Internet, then they may as well just give you the domain admin password and have done with it :biggrin

10. jessica_wesley

Im quite lucky I have a lecturer that made us do practical in all the modules, then we had to sit a practical exam at the end. I really enjoyed the subject so want to take it further, im currently doing digital forensics aswell.

11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Really? I think we have a member (who hasn't posted here for a while) who's doing a Phd in digital forensics in Glasgow (though it may not be your uni). Zimbo - you around?

12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

.....probably at the pub. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Haha - tru dat. Bloody students!

14. Esses

Esses New Member

Thanks for the insight -- pretty sure that ec-council also has the breakdown at http://www.eccouncil.org/certification/certified_ethical_hacker.aspx

Certifications: Net+, Sec+
    WIP: CEH, Linux+, CAPM
  15. Esses

Esses New Member

jessica-

all their req.s are http://www.eccouncil.org/certification/certified_ethical_hacker.aspx under exam info tab, 2 years in IT security will get you a waiver, employer verified, otherwise you have to take one of their certified courses prior to the exam (very spendy)

Certifications: Net+, Sec+
    WIP: CEH, Linux+, CAPM
  16. glasgowgolfer

glasgowgolfer Bit Poster

Hi Mate, Thanks for the Info, i am seriously thinking of going to india to do the CEH & CHFI, its either that or do a CCNA... do you think having the CEH/CHFI would be enough to get me a job as some sort of security analyst?
    cheers
    Dave

17. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Whats your background? I work with a security team who are all ex engineers or programmers, they all have a background in the technology they are now securing.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  18. glasgowgolfer

glasgowgolfer Bit Poster

Hi Simon, well like i said i was a Network engineer, installing Cisco, Juniper Extreme, on call for faults etc, just the usual...i got a bit fed up of being on call every 2nd week as there were only myself and another engineer to cover Scotland, i stupidly moved away from networking ...that was 3 years ago ...now redundant i feel its the only way forward, but i have an interest in Security...not network security ...more along the lines of the CEH/CHFI so i was just hoping that someone would either say arrrggghhh no its a mugs game or in the current climate of a world being primed for cyber security threats it's maybe a good time to slide back into technology in the Security side of things.. ;o)

19. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Unfortunately whilst security work is good it's not the kind of role you can just walk into, I hate to say it but spending money on a course and expecting to walk into a security role with no upto date exposure or experience is pretty much going to be a waste of time.

As a CEH\CHFI you will be expected to know how to program a little and your linux\unix experience should be top notch, you will be expected to reverse engineer all sorts of probes\worms\trojans etc to see what impact they have had on your network\infrastructure etc. Added to that is that the technology does move on, what you may have known 3 years ago (and I know you said you were a Cisco\Juniper\Extreme engineer and not working on OS platforms) won't really be of much help now.

If I were in your shoes I would think it would be more prudent in getting back into networking than starting on a track that expects prior experience and exposure to the technologies you're expected to protect.

Let me put it another way, I have over 10 years of systems engineering\ systemsn management experience but I wouldn't go down the route of CEH or CFHI because I don't have the experience in programming\*nix to carry it off.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  20. glasgowgolfer

glasgowgolfer Bit Poster

Nice 1 Simon, appreciate your honesty, i suppose that would suggest i get back into Networking again, by re certifying my CCNA for starters, ....then either head into Voice or Security from there,

cheers
    Dave