Certified Ethical Hacker (C|EH) - easy to "employ"

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by Gomjaba, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Gomjaba

Gomjaba Bit Poster

A friend of mine is currently in a C|EH bootcamp and he is quite impressed (especially about the amount of paper he had to sign :biggrin ).

Just wondering ... Lets assume you have several IT certifications including the C|EH - would you say it MAY work against you in a "normal" application UNLESS you apply SPECIFICLY for this kind of job role ?

I just imagine that a company who seeks a System Administrator, IT support and whatnot, sees that a candidate is certified in hacking as well - whether he (as in company) would fee comfortable with it ....

Oh and the reason he went for it is

a) He didn't pay for it (He had a voucher for 5 days and wasn't interested in other exams such as Microsoft)
    b) He is a freak - which is meant in a good / nice way :p:p (he even networked his Commodore 64 because he was bored :P)

Certifications: VCP, MCITP:SA, MCITP:EA
    WIP: MCITP: Database Admin
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

from what i have read around the CEH hasnt caught on in the uk - that said people havent caught on what ethical hacking is! they see the word hacker and they think "BAD"! The course is also apparently very poor if you know some security concepts - but if he hasnt paid for it then its just another cert and 3 more letters after his name! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It can, yes, if the employer doesn't understand what a CEH does. And unfortunately, most don't, even in the US. Like Zim says, they see the word "hacker" and think, "ooh, bad". So if I had it, I'd likely keep it off my resume unless I were relatively certain that my target audience understands what the CEH is.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I'm a CEH - for about a year now. I used to be a security admin, so it went hand in hand with the job.

I think, at higher levels, despite the CEH being a basic cert, its held in much higher regard than at junior levels (second line for instance). This is because the cert deals with 'fiddling' with security - something No-one without a solid understanding of what they're doing should attempt.

I'd question the validity of the CEH if not already in the security industry - employers are notoriously stupid when it comes to understanding security in the best of cases - a second line interviewer with 'hacker' anywhere on their cv is asking for trouble.

For more senior roles, or, obviously, security jobs, I'd definitely leave it on my cv. Any company interviewing me for a role at those levels that didn't know what the CEH was, or what the difference between black and white hat was, is not the sort of company I want to work for!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. Gomjaba

Gomjaba Bit Poster

I actually got the prep guide from a colleague as I asked what it (CEH) actually is (The CEH Prep Guide: The Comprehensive Guide to Certified Ethical Hacking - published by Wiley) and I must say it SOUNDS pretty interesting .. but nothing I would pursue myself ...

But thanks for the input guys - this is what I thought .. unless you work in the industry I wouldn't put it on my cv myself ...

Certifications: VCP, MCITP:SA, MCITP:EA
    WIP: MCITP: Database Admin
  6. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I did a security workshop a few years ago, it was a bit of fun, using ethereal to carry out man in the middle attacks a lot of it was based on the CEH material. Ever since i have always wanted to do the CEH for fun, i actually do a lot of ethical hacking on home set-ups as a hobby.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots