Certifications-Valuable or Not?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by issfred, Jan 4, 2011.

1. issfred

issfred New Member

As someone directly involved in the creation and delivery of IT continuing education and certification training I would be VERY interested in hearing the thoughts of the community re certifications. Please address their value if one is employed vs. unemployed and looking. Thanks and all the best for the New Year! If you want to contact me directly I can be reached at REMOVED

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2011
    Certifications: 4
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It depends on what certs someone has.

Someone who has no experience should be persuing certs that are designed to show their willingness to get into IT or to show that they can grasp the basic findamentals of what is required of them when they get a job. Certs like these are:A+,N+, MCDST and the MCDST upgrades.

Then there are certs which should show that a candidate has a bit of experience and can use transferable knowledge and experience to get those certs like 70-270 and MCITP certs.

Then there are certs which are designed to show that a candidate has a lot of experience in the areas those certifications relate to i.e MCSA for someone who works as a network administrator and support technician, MCSE someone who works as a network admin/systems engineer, CCNA someone who works day in day out with CISCO hubs and switches (usuallly a network admin or systems engineer role).

Having certs without the recommended experience can be as bad as having no certs at all because no network manager will hire someone with no experience regardless of their certifications and qualifications unless its on a trainee position and I have never seen anywhere advertise for a trainee systems engineer role.

Positions like that have to be worked towards and the certs should be done by the candidate as his/her career progresses.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Hang on, you come onto an IT Certification Forum. So dedicated to the subject that their name is Certforums, and want to know what people think about certs? hmmm, let me think just for a minute here.....

I smell spam!

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Those thoughts that you are looking for are posted on almost every single thread on this forum. If that is indeed what you are looking for, all you need to do is read through them.

That said... as someone who is "directly involved in the creation and delivery of IT continuing education and certification training", shouldn't you already know the value of certification, and to whom certifications should be targeted? :blink

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Your website is truly out of this world.

If you want to know the value of certifications, why not ask one of your clients such as Nasa or the US Army?

Or, if they aren't sure, how about one of your authors/instructors - Ed Tittel or Mike Meyers must have an opinion on the subject. Discuss it over coffee in the canteen.

If that fails to provide answers, your affiliates should be able to help out. After all, you've registered as a member on the MS Partner program, CNET member too, and you probably got the css on your website validated by W3C too.

I'm actually messing with you, as you may be able to tell. :-)

You're just a rebranding/reseller of training materials aren't you?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Sorry to be blunt but certifications are only good as getting one noticed for an interview. Experience and the right attitude would get a potential candidate further in terms of career progression.

Runs:) and hides:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Fred.. you have been a member for a couple of years now and you haven't been a prolific spammer. This thread you started is clearly an attempt by you to raise the profile of your company. You know that advertising is not allowed here and so you make a half baked attempt to circumvent our rules.

I am going to give you an infraction this time, any further breaches of our rules will be dealt with accordingly.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
    Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)