Certifications Renewals?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by rayox, Mar 27, 2011.

1. rayox

rayox Bit Poster

Just wanted to know is it important to update your certifications because it seems allot of hassle especially for someone with a few certifications under their belt for example the A+ certification you have to renew every three years, isn’t that just another way of them getting more money out of you. Yes it’s keeping your skills up to date but someone in that kind of role such as a technician is going to be keeping up to date anyways as he’s working in that role day in day out, is this renewal with every certification and would you renewal the A+ certification if you had higher certifications would your employer care if you didn’t update it but knew you have the skills to do that role as they same pretty pricey to renewal, especially every three years I thing it would start to get annoying that you have to proof you have the skills by paying to take a exam again and again.

Certifications: none
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

For certifications like A+ and Network+ it really depends on where you're at in your career. I have the A+ but I am a Systems/Network admin and deal very little with desktop support/help desk type of issues so for me, having the A+ or Network+ up to date won't really do much. I should be concentrating on higher end certs. I always looked at A+ and Network+ certs as a way to give you extra something when applying for your first job but after you get the experience it does not really matter much any more when it comes to entry level certs. To be honest, on my CV, I omit A+, Network+ and MCDST, I only list the MCSA.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA