Certifications - Getting Started

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by SimonD, Jan 3, 2015.

1. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

So as a forum leader it would be remiss of me not to post this.

So over the years I have been asked time after time what the best exam is to take, or the best training material there is to learn a subject or even the best training course to go on and I realised something,

I realised that actually answering every single question for someone looking to get in to IT or get certifications under their belt actually does them a dis-service, why do you ask?

It's like this.

I have spent years learning what's best for me, what courses to take, what exams to take and what direction to take my career, what that's lead to is me being a forum leader in Training & Development and getting asked a number of questions that people want the answers to, the only problem is that my goals, directions etc have all been specific to me and whilst it's worked for me there is nothing to say it's going to work for the next person and the reason for that is this.

Because I have taken the time to look at my career, looked at what the exams entail, looked at the different training courses and decided what would be best for my career, I didn't have to rely on others to decide my fate, I didn't have to allow other peoples judgement on what's a good or bad course \ exam etc sway my judgement on whether to go for that training or not and that's a good thing because what I have discovered over time is that I rely on my own experiences on what's right or wrong for me.

As an example I was recently asked opinions on a certification path, my advice was offered and reasonings given behind that advice. The trouble I have is that now I am being asked on best training material, best websites, best place to buy books from, best lab environments to build, best place to by exams vouchers etc... what this leads to IMHO is an engineer who has to rely on others without understanding why decisions have been made in the first place. What kind of engineer will that person make if they can't make a decision based on initial advice and wants everything spoon fed to him instead of learning by experience.

Please don't get me wrong, I love offering advice but there comes a time when offering too much advice and assistance to someone actually becomes a detriment to their career and everyone concerned needs to understand that there should really only be one person in control of a career and that's the person whose career it is.

Yes ask questions, listen to advice BUT make your own mind up, research yourself and don't rely on one persons advice (even if it turns out to be right), make decisions for yourself, learn off the experience you gain and allow that you let you grow as an engineer.

You never know, one day you could be the person other junior engineers come to ask advice for and realising now that all you're offering is advice and that the person in control is that engineer makes not just him a better person but you as well.

End of rant \ post \ advice \ blurb

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Mr.Cheeks and Sparky like this.
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Nice write up

3. natharas

natharas New Member

Very interesting read, I agree with you. I do also know when trying to self study sometimes it can be easy to ask too many questions but that can come down to not wanting to waste time on incorrect content etc.

I, myself have picked up a few books that I will read through and use the prep questions / labs but also have access to an online study group as well which does help a lot.