Certification VS Experience

Discussion in 'News' started by tripwire45, Oct 27, 2005.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certification VS Experience

Interestingly enough, this article and the one I just posted about CCNA/CCNP labs were both written by a member of this board named Chris Bryant. He's not around much but he seems to be a fund of information.

Whether you're just starting your Information Technology career, or wanting to get further ahead in your current IT career, you have probably thought about earning one of the many popular computer certifications such as the Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) certification, or the MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) cert.

A major point of frustration for individuals pursuing one of these certifications is a possible lack of experience with these technologies. Many future CCNAs or MCSEs simply stop trying to earn their certification, feeling that their lack of experience will hold them back.

Adding to this are those in IT who will stop everything they're doing at the drop of a hat to stomp on the dreams of others. I recently saw a post by an IT newcomer on a popular website where he declared his intention of earning his CCNA. Within minutes, several naysayers popped up and told him that he shouldn't bother, it wouldn't do any good due to his lack of experience, etc. (Did you ever notice that people who bash certifications generally don't have any themselves?)

For the rest of the article, click Here

Certifications: A+ and Network+
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Veteran's son
      Veteran's son
      Thanks for posting the article, Trip! :)
    2. The_Geek
      The_Geek
      And along those same lines, many stop trying to learn because they find out that after years to training and learning, they get the certification only to discover the pay rate is about the same as a fry cook at McDonalds (at least, that's the situation where I live).
    3. simongrahamuk
      simongrahamuk
      Good find Trip.

It's something that has been covered many times, so I'm not going to re-open that can of worms, but is a topic that always provokes great debate!

:blink