Certification/training plan - server 2003

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by disarm, Jun 24, 2008.

1. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

Hi,

As I now have a job which involves a lot of Server 2003 work (AD, IIS, MySQL, Exchange). I could really do with a certification/learning plan to assist and match what I learn on the job. I've started Network+ but I don't think it's really going to help me that much. I'm looking at Server+ but I've heard it's not that good? Any recommendations please.

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

MCSE? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I beg to disagree, the network+ covers the basic's (and I use that term lightly) that you need to know for the 70-291, as well as other things. The server+ is a good cert/qual to have, however it doesn't (and can't) go too indepth into one OS, as it is vendor neutral. So it is a good cert to have if you're going to be exposed to different server OS's.

If you're going to stay in the MS field then the MCSA would be a good choice to start off with :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What Ken said. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You have MySQL running on Windows Server 2003? Sorry, it just caught my eye.

Anyway, I have to assume (I know...bad of me) that someone at your office has given you at least something of a run down on what you need to be doing to get your job done on a daily basis. While a long-range certification plan mapped to your career goals is a really good idea, let's start where you are. AD, IIS, MySQL, and Exchange covers a lot of territory. Can you say where your most immediate training/certification need may be?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Why is it not good? If its easy for you then why not do it and get it on your CV. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

If I go the whole way, maybe.

Yeah, having looked a bit further through the Net+ book last night I'd agree that some if it would help me in this current position. So I'm going to complete it before doing anything else.

Indeed they have, and anything I need to know I just ask away, and I have access to books galore. Basically I'm working for a web design agency so I've been told I'll be getting to know AD, IIS and MySQL mostly on a day to day basis. So far I've used IIS to generate SSL certificates and lookup domains, etc, and had to unlock locked user passwords in MySQL databases, and so on. It's all new to me and so quite a challenge, but I'm picking things up pretty quickly - but would like to try and get ahead of myself a bit more by doing related self-studying.

Exchange is going to come later as it's a proposal for the future.

Staying with MS might be a good idea as I plan to stay in this job for a good few years, building up my skills and experience. My employer is also willing to pay for my exams.

It may not be easy and I don't see the point in learning about Linux servers, etc, if I'll be staying on the MS Ship :) If it was a general Server 2003+ type of exam, then maybe.

8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Server+ isn't all about Linux. It is all about servers. Some of the topics include the difference between a NAS and a SAN. And also the rules surrounding FibreChannel. (This last enabled me to rubbish a claim from a vendor about his kit).

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+