Certification order......

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Stevie, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Stevie

Stevie Byte Poster

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum, came across it by accident last night.

Basicly, I'm looking at a career change into IT. I've been building, repairing and upgrading PC's for family and friends for about 11 years now, so I have a reasonable amount of knowledge on how PC's work, etc.

My final aim is to try and get into network and infrastructure, however, this will be hard with only the qualifacations and no job experience. So bearing that in mind, I came up with a certification order, and I would appriciate people's opinions on it who have already done it.

The list is:
    A+ Core
    A+ OS
    Network+
    Security+ (start looking for job)
    MCDST (start a job)
    MCSA (attemp to get a job in this field)
    MCSE (try and move into this role)

I personally think this route is good for what I want to do (network and infrastructure). The reason that I want the MCDST in there is to expand my knowledge and also make my CV look a little bit better for an employer. I'm also doing these courses as home study.

I'm also in the process of setting up a mobile PC tech company, partly for the extra little bit of income and partly because I will be able to broaden up my experience range. The website is www.pctech-online.co.uk but it's still in the process of being set up.

Steve

WIP: A+, Network+, Security+
  2. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

[​IMG]

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

Welcome.:biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Steve,

Welcome to the forum. I think your chosen path is a good one for the career you describe.

The eleven years counts as experience as will any jobs you do from your site.

Good luck

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'd only make one major change to your plan: start looking for a job NOW, and start it as soon as you're hired. Don't wait until you get certified... look now.

The MCDST will be helpful to you now; Security+ will be helpful to you later. In fact, CompTIA recommends doing Sec+ after you've had a year of security-related experience. I'd modify your plan's order to this:

A+ Core
    A+ OS
    MCDST and Network+ (the order you do these two is up to you)
    Security+
    MCSA (attemp to get a job in this field)
    MCSE (try and move into this role)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Stevie

Stevie Byte Poster

Cheers for the welcome guys.

Boyce - I know the 11 years count, but I ment job experience within an IT company.

Michael - I'm planning to go down to a recruitment agency on my days off next week, the one I'm planning on going to does alot of IT work. Personally though, I would like to at least get A+ certified before I move into a job.

I've also been looking at testing centres near me, and living nearish to London I have a good choice. I'm planning on taking the exams for A+ Core and A+ OS either in April or May.

WIP: A+, Network+, Security+
  7. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Welcome!

Basically given your experience you can do either:

1. Fast-track on certs this year and get a job - which is what you are saying. This works well if you end up working for someone else.
    OR
    2. Get a job or business going straight-up and cert later if not immediately required.

I have this own experience with NT4 as I did a lot of MCSE type support work before I actually certed in the late 90's, plus I was active in the Unix and technical computing space as well.

I am just mentioning this coz it is hard to study and run a business at the same time, you might be better of working for someone entry-level and getting those certs rapid-fire...just my two cents worth...

supag33k.

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff