Certification or Adaptive?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by MonkeyWrench, Feb 14, 2006.

1. MonkeyWrench

MonkeyWrench Nibble Poster

I'm due to take my first MCDST exam in a couple of weeks and I've worked through the MS Press book and am currently swatting up Readiness Review Suite. However, I'm a little unsure what style of exam I'm going to encounter - certification or adaptive? Which ones do the examiners usually go for?

I'm currently just shy of passing when doing the certification tests, but I've been consistently passing the adaptive ones, so as you can imagine I'd preferably want to take the later type of exam.

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-270, CCNA
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I am not sure exactly what you mean by certification vs adaptive. Adaptive questioning adapts depending on your answers to the questions. In other words, if you get a question wrong, you will be faced with more questions on the same topic, as opposed to a random selection. The only other type of questions I am aware of are SIM (simulation) questions. With these you are faced with a simulated GUI and you have to configure things like in real life. The normal type are just multiple choice, often with many answers and the chose three or chose all that apply etc.

MonkeyWrench don't worry about it, if you feel you are ready and that you know the stuff, go and sit the thing. You will be faced with whatever Microsoft decide to throw at you. Hopefully they will all be nice easy questions that you know the answers to :D

Good luck!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I remember reading something about adaptive questioning somewhere, it may have been in one of the MS Press books.
    The thing is, you never actually know what you're going to face in the actual exam. It may be a normal exam, an adaptive exam, or there may be someone sitting the other side of the wall deciding what questions to give you.
    The point is, they look and feel the same so the chances are you won't know the difference.

I have no idea if I've ever done an adaptive exam or not...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

monkeywrench i think you should be ready for any type of question... getting a cert isnt answering questions in a way you like but knowing the things a MCDST would have to know.. if you know your stuff then you will pass its that simple - no matter what question they throw at you! :biggrin

Good luck man! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. MonkeyWrench

Bluerinse: Cert mode throws a block of 45 questions at you, the Adaptive mode can throw around half that at you depending on how well you are doing. I've finished Adaptive tests in around 10 mins and passed with flying colours, but I seem to just miss that 80% pass mark with the cert mode.

That's another query, is the real-life exam an 80% pass mark also?

I feel that there's a couple of areas I need to swat up on, but overall I know my stuff. Still got a couple of weeks, so I should be ok.

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Exam pass mark is 700.
    Nobody seems to know what it's out of or what it means.
    It doesn't really matter. You just do the best you can. If you pass, you pass. Knowing the pass mark doesn't really help...

Good luck.

With regard to the exam style, I've done exams containing as few as 30 questions (70-300) and about 65 questions (70-270). I'm still none the wiser about the difference.

7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

MCDST exams give you a fixed number of questions.

The fixed number can vary between 45 - 60 ish.

If the exam was adaptive it would not tell you how many questions are on the exam.

8)

8. MonkeyWrench

Cheers for the info guys.

9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Isn't that a contradication Simon? :twisted: :biggrin

10. MonkeyWrench

Took the exam yesterday, 50 questions...passed with a perfect score :)

Cheers for all the advice guys!

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Really glad to hear that mate - congratulations :D

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Congrats :beers2

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Well done :alc :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  14. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Well done. On to the next one.

For me, any score that's a pass is a perfect score :biggrin

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  15. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Congrats! :biggrin

16. MonkeyWrench

heh true :)

I'm going for the 70-270 and 271 over the next few months whilst Microsoft has the second chance offer on, it's takes a little bit of pressure off. So, I'm having this weekend off and then I'm hitting the books again next week. :eek:

Cheers again fellas!