Certification in networking and security

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by moya, Aug 26, 2010.

1. moya

moya New Member

Hi, I am Moyali. I want to do a course in networking and security. I am relatively new to IT. Which certification will be helpful for me to start a bright career?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2010
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The best thing you can do is put your "networking and security" aspirations on the "long-term goal" shelf and get an entry-level IT job. Networking and security roles are generally given to techs with years of experience... so you're essentially trying to start at the middle of the IT career ladder. And unless you've got an uncle who is an IT director and is willing to take a risk on hiring a relative, you'll probably have to start at the bottom like most everyone else.

I'd recommend pursuing the A+, Network+, and MCDST (or MCTS after April 1). These are solid, entry-level certifications that can help you get your first IT job.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Goukha

Goukha New Member

you could also maybe do the CCENT (ICND 1) insted of the Network+ to start you on the Cisco track if thats what you want.