Certification from scratch

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by MaXx, May 18, 2008.

1. MaXx

MaXx Bit Poster

After completing a 3 year design diploma a few years ago, I traveled to Switzerland a few years ago. I ended up staying and am currently working in sales. I have decided not to pursue a career in design and want to instead focus on trying to find a start in IT. I started off last year reading through the A+ book. I feel that I do have a good understanding of pcs in general having worked with them and played games on my own pcs since I was very young. I have experience building and taking pcs apart and lots of experience installing and using various windows, dos, linux and mac os flavours. Someone in Switzerland advised me on another forum that to take the A+ would not really advance my chances of finding work but instead said I should start the MCP. I decided to start with the 270 exam as it seemed a logical place. I have worked through the ms press book and am currently working on the sybex book and I understand the concepts and have transcenders and other mock exams to work through. I am also planning to set up Server 2003 to test and get familiar with the required knowledge. I have been testing myself with the review material in the books and so far have been scoring 70% or higher. But reading through a few threads here has made me a little doubtful.

So what do you think? Should I continue on this path and try the exam after working through all the prep material? Is it possible to get through this exam without actually having mucho real world experience?

WIP: 70-270
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Max, you've basically answered your own question as you're on the right path and studying the right way. I'd say carry out all the labs in the books and go through transcender after words.

Finally, when you feel ready book the exam via www.pometric.com and you should be set to go. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

You are definitely on the right track. You will get a feeling when your read to sit the exam, when you get to that point get it booked and go for it. You can learn a lot from the MS Press books at home with a few PCs. :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  4. MaXx

MaXx Bit Poster

Thanks for the encouragement guys! 8)

I'll stay the course then (and drop on by with more questions when and if they arise).

WIP: 70-270