Certification Exam Sponsorship

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by dmarsh, Jan 20, 2010.

?

To what extent have your examination costs been employer funded ?

1. 100% funded by employer

18 vote(s)
    24.7%
  2. 90% funded by employer

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  3. 80% funded by employer

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. 70% funded by employer

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  5. 60% funded by employer

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  6. 50% funded by employer

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  7. 40% funded by employer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 30% funded by employer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 20% funded by employer

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  10. 10% funded by employer

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  11. 0% funded by employer, I do it all off my own back !

44 vote(s)
    60.3%
  1. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I prefer to pay for my own examinations and have employer cover the cost of conferences or training on specific niche topics (usually not associated to a certification).

Exams are usually a fraction comparred to training or conferences. :biggrin

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Currently, no. Previously, yes and hopefully yes in the future!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

100% myself but then again i have only sat one 1 certificate, but cant see it changing in the future either.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  4. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'm being a swine at my annual appraisal and asking for the courses for 291 and for about 6 soft-skill courses, and I'm going to challenge every single one of them about why I won't be able to do it.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Careful, mate. This is an employer's market. There are plenty of techs who would cut off an arm to get a job. This isn't a good time to be confrontational, because nobody is irreplaceable.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Absolutely 100% with you there - there is a constant undertone from any staff members that I work with/come across and that is the company won't give training - unless its for your immediate job you are in (training is simply the Microsoft or Cisco courses for each respective exam).

Well, my point is going to challenge that thought - either I'm going to prove the staff wrong or the company wrong - if the training is allowed, I'll prove it to my colleagues and they can go crazy with training. If the company says no, then I would really wonder why they are Investors in People Champions (Link for those who don't know!)

Obviously, all within the confines of keeping my job!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

P45 mate? :biggrin

Being a swine does not get you training. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Lets hope not :biggrin

9. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I see what you're saying, but the way I see it is if the training/certification is going to benefit me (more marketable, employable, etc...), then I have to be responsible to attaining it. If there's an immediate need for someone in the company to have the training, then obviously the company should be responsible for getting the resources in place.

10. UncleBeard

UncleBeard Nibble Poster

I'm lucky :D I am the IT Training department where I work, covering MS Office and some bespoke systems.

I pay out for exams and material, and get 100% back for both, and this has just reminded me that I need to get an expenses claim in for the MCAS exams I have just taken :rolleyes:

Certifications: MOS 2003, 2007 and 2010, Master 2003, 2007 and 2010, MMI 2003, MCT, ITIL Foundation