Certification Advice

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by Shajin, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Again, this is down to the individual. It took me about 6 weeks to do this exam, but that's me. Here are my two posts about it:

Thread 1
    Thread 2

Where to get the material? From work (if you can get them to purchase them), amazon for the books, etc...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. Shajin

Shajin Bit Poster

Thanks for this.

The reason why I was considering going for the training course was to save time. I think Security+ training is generally only for 3 - 5 days (including exam) at most training institutes.

Going back to my previous question... What other certification goes well with Sec+? Would N+ be a good option?

Thanks!

3. Shajin

Shajin Bit Poster

Also, I wasn't clear about Associate of (ISC)².

Do you have to be doing your CISSP for this?

Can someone please explain the process?

Many Thanks!

4. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Have a look here

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  5. Shajin

Shajin Bit Poster

I had a look on their website as suggested by Ken.

From their website

The Associate of (ISC)² status is available to qualified candidates who:

* Subscribe to the (ISC)² Code of Ethics
    * Pass the CISSP® or SSCP® certification exams based on the (ISC)² CBK®, our taxonomy of information security topics.

Since it is their entry level, I wasn't clear if I had to pass the CISSP (which wouldn't make it an entry level).

6. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Google is a wonderful thing!

Participation Requirements
    Associate of (ISC)2 status is available to those knowledgeable in key areas of industry concepts
    but are lacking the work experience to achieve their chosen credential. As a potential candidate,
    you may take the CISSP® or SSCP® examination and subscribe to the (ISC)2 Code of Ethics,
    however to earn the CISSP or SSCP credential you will have to acquire the necessary years of
    professional experience requirements, provide proof and be endorsed by a member of (ISC)2 in
    good standing. Therefore, if you are working towards the CISSP, you have a maximum of six
    years from your exam pass date to acquire the necessary professional experience, and two years
    for those working towards the SSCP. An Annual Maintenance Fee (AMF) of US$35 applies, and
    Continuing Professional Education (CPE) units must be earned each year (20 towards the CISSP
    and 10 towards the SSCP) to remain in good standing.

7. Shajin

Shajin Bit Poster

Thanks.. I had seen that too, but this is what confuses me:

"Therefore, if you are working towards the CISSP, you have a maximum of six years from your exam pass date to acquire the necessary professional experience, and two years for those working towards the SSCP."

Is there an exam for Associate of (ISC)²? Or are they talking about the CISSP and SSCP exams here?

8. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

They talking about the CISSP and SSCP exams here.

9. Shajin

Shajin Bit Poster

I am a little bit confused here.. I thought you need to demonstrate 5 years of technical experience to do the CISSP exam. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Here it says you have upto six years to gain this experience after passing the exam. So is this an advantage you get to enjoy being an Associate of (ISC)²?

10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You need to be experienced before going for CISSP it isn't entry level it is for people who already do it for a living.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. Shajin

Shajin Bit Poster

I do realize that. Please check my previous posts.. I was discussing about Associate of (ISC)². Thanks!