certificate me!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by doctorjarlingo, Aug 15, 2006.

1. doctorjarlingo

doctorjarlingo New Member

hi all,

been having a look around the forum. a bit of background - recently got myself a PhD (in genetics :eek: :biggrin) and been working in that 'interesting' field since then. Supported myself during PhD by building and selling computers/building and supporting SOHO networks i've built (I might add here that I haven't had to do much supporting as they generally work just fine until someone tinkers with settings!). I want a career in IT having decided after all this time, i'm 28, that science and particularly government sponsored research is not for me.

did a bit of programming at school/uni but nothing spectacular (turbo pascal lol) and no real interest in going back to it as i never really enjoyed it. PC and network building and support though is something that I do really enjoy - and I would like to do it as a career....now here's the question! What sort of training should I go for? Looked at MS, Cisco etc. and comptia a+ (8/10 on practice test online) but not sure. Advice welcomed :biggrin cheers CG

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi and Welcome to CF!:biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

hey! welcome to CF!

u might want to have a look at network+ as well and later mayb mcp or mcdst...a+ -> network+ -> mcp or mcdst :)

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome.

IMHO if you enjoy building stuff like this then you should start off with the A+.

Follow it with Network+ as this is also a close match to what you are doing.

If you have a PhD you should be right at home with the self-study route for aquiring these certs.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Howdy! :biggrin

6. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Hi, and welcome to CF!

I love seeing the older peeps strolling in -- and surely, considering your 'hobby' and your study skills, most of the entry-level certs should be fairly straightforward.

Have a look here, it's a pinned post about Self Study.

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello doctorjarlingo

Start with A+ it gives a good foundation to all the certs out there. But the word on the IT grape vine is Cisco is still highly sort after. I guess because Cisco is tried and tested unlike some of those other networks out there!

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  9. PAT

PAT Banned

welcome to CF

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You have got a PhD in genetics and you are wanting to get into IT - I find that quite strange to be honest. :blink

What is it that has made you so disillusioned with science after all the work you have clearly put in over the years. To want to start another career from scratch when you are a doctor in your existing world just blows me away.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, I hope you find what you are soul searching for!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Good Point Pete!

What's the real reason for changing, don't tell you have been informed that IT jobs are a easy and pay loads of money!

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  12. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

He wants to become The Terminator! :borgsmile ...hehe

btw: Welcome to CF....