Certificate in Web Applications Development - OU

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by james_holly21, Sep 19, 2009.

1. james_holly21

james_holly21 New Member

am thinking about finally doing a course in web design and found this course run by the open university

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/qualification/c39.htm

i have designed a website and its what i want to do but not sure where to start, but i know i need to study a proper course and have heard bad things about CIW

James

2. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Sorry, why do you need to study a course to do web-design? there are hundreds of quality websites to learn from and I have yet to meet a designer that has got a contract because he had a certificate, it is the strength of your portfolio that matters. Get making some websites in your own time for your portfolio, get on-line, and google some stuff and you'll be learning far far quicker than any course can teach you (depending if you put the effort in of course)

http://net.tutsplus.com/

Some high quality web design tutorials

http://themeforest.net

If you get some websites made you can sell them at the above site and make a good bit of passive income. You really do not need to study to be a webdesigner.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I've always been a big fan of the OU, and that course looks pretty comprehensive.

It's not cheap with six modules at £220 a pop, but then it's not TP prices either.

I would say that you're looking to either put heck of a lot of work in, or it's going to take a while.
    Although each module is only 10 points (whereas a 'normal' OU year is worth 30 or 60) you need to do six.
    So you could probably do 3 or 4 of them in a year, but I'm not sure I'd fancy juggling several different courses at the same time, clashing TMAs etc.

In theory you could do all 6 in a year but you need to consider the risk of not being able to cope and dropping out of one or more modules. If you do that, it's £220 down the drain and start again.

Although it's true that you could self study, especially in the field of web design, when you come to web applications you'll be looking at using IDEs and connceting to databases etc. Again, yes, it's possible to do this yourself although you can end up cobbling together horrible 'lite' versions of the real thing or trial versions. The benefit of the OU is that they will provide the tools you need which will save you a headache.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. james_holly21

james_holly21 New Member

cheers for feedback guys

i have decided to learn as i go

going to use the tutorials off lynda.com and put them into practice while i learn i also going to re-design a website i run.

James