Certguard - This domain is up for sale.

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Kitkatninja, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

I also have a hosting reseller account, so if needed I can provide the hosting free of charge.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I think, as has been said, it's a bit more involvement than just the hosting (I have spare capacity on my VPS too).

Would be good to see what SimonV and AJ's views are

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It's pretty easy to figure out who's legit and who's not if you look hard enough. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

t~#*k!@# will probably try to buy it. :oops:

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  5. BosonMichael

Robert would let it die first before selling to them.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Doesn't mean they won't try....

Anyway, as others have said I think theres a fair bit more involved here than just covering the hosting costs but...

...this is one of the most active certification forums out there, if we all club together and work together theres at least some chance we can keep it afloat and up to date surely?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  7. trebor_88

trebor_88 Byte Poster

Maybe we could actually integrate it into certforums (if the forum owners like the idea)?

As this site is Vbulletin should be pretty easy to do, should increase site traffic too.

Plus the members could comment on particular providers, could also be a review site.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCITP:EDST, MCTS:7
    WIP: VMware VCP 5, MCSE and CCNA
  8. BosonMichael

Doesn't matter if they try or not... Robert won't sell to them.

9. BosonMichael

So who would be responsible for keeping spamvertisement reviews out of the mix, or determining which reviews are spam and which are legit? If you let every Tom, Dick, and Harry post reviews, you'll get a whole mess of "reviews" that are artificially created by the practice exam providers (or worse, braindump providers). But if you restrict reviews to people who are known to be trustworthy, then you limit the polling pool. And who would determine who is a legit reviewer?

No - we would set ourselves up for a world of hurt if we went down that route. In my opinion, the best service that CertGuard can provide is a single ranking of Safe / Braindump / Undetermined.

The problem with CertGuard's business model is that they thought they could get legit practice test providers (PTPs) to pay several thousand dollars to buy into their CertGuard Seal of Approval program. The problem with this is that the well-known PTPs don't need a seal of approval, so most are not going to participate. And then you end up selling Seals of Approval to marginal, questionable sites. Same holds true with advertising - if CertGuard's ads can be believed, you'd think CareerSaver is the best thing since sliced bread!

The bottom line is this: once you've taken money from ANY of these PTPs, you've sacrificed your impartiality. Just my opinion.