Certforums Average IT Salary

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by Kitkatninja, Aug 12, 2008.

?

CF Salary survey for 2008

Poll closed Oct 11, 2008.
  1. £? - £10,000

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  2. £10,001 - £15,000

6 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. £15,001 - £20,000

32 vote(s)
    29.9%
  4. £20,001 - £25,000

27 vote(s)
    25.2%
  5. £25,001 - £30,000

16 vote(s)
    15.0%
  6. £30,001 - £35,000

9 vote(s)
    8.4%
  7. £35,001 - £40,000

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  8. £40,001 - £45,000

5 vote(s)
    4.7%
  9. £45,001 - £50,000

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  10. £50,001 - £55,000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. £55,001 - £60,000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. £60,001 - £?

5 vote(s)
    4.7%
  1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

OK, based on 101 voters and assuming that my last choice went up to £65k. The average salary falls in the £25,001 to £30,000 category (£27,524.75), with the most common salary range in the £15,001 to £20k range. Please note that I have not taken into consideration locations, area/field in IT and position - these can/will affect your salary.

Remember, the more experience and the higher you climb up the career ladder, the higher your salary will be and the more responsibility you have to handle. A person will not get the average salary just by doing a boot camp course/6 months course with no experience. Start from the bottom and work your way up :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. Mr Machfisto

Mr Machfisto Nibble Poster

Its good to see that the average is quite high and those just breaking into IT will see ther could be light at the end of the tunell reagarding salaries.

Like you say, the harder you work and the more effort you put in (along with experience) you can climb the salary ladder.

So TP's who advertise 'you can earn £xxx.xxx' if you study for IT, aren't too far off the mark.

MrM

3. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I was going to say depends on your location, london pays more but housing and living expenses are greater so not really any better off.

Wages in some areas have gone down when compared to the 90's, because of demand.
    I used to earn a lot more when i originally started in IT when i was 18, than this second stint.

However, if i had stuck at it i would have been in the 50K range by now :cry:
    .. no good looking back

Because I have had a illness that has also effected my memory, i find my self starting all over again at 31 (at end of week cough) ... fun!

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Only after a good few years of solid IT experience, not straight off the mark like the TP's make out!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

£25,001 to £30,000 for someone with 5+ years training seems like a low wage to me with todays hyper-inflation.

I wouldn't say the figures that accurate because of the sample size and the way the surveys been undertaken. Theres more reliable surveys elsewhere on the internet.

http://www.cwjobs.co.uk/SalaryChecker/SalaryCheckerSearch.aspx
    http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/

It also depends on if you include contractors and perm benefits. Also what about people out of work ? etc

A london cabbie, plumber, mot tester, various sales jobs, can clear 50k+

I think it just reinforces the point that people should not enter the profession based on misleading advertising, you should only pursue a career in IT if you have a real passion for IT.

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yes, they are off the mark, if they're saying that you can attend their classes without experience and get the "average IT salary".

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

That wage range looks fair in many respects though. There are so many factors to consider asides from just location/inflation - Just because two people have been working/training for, say, 5 years (with the same job title - another factor mentioned loads here already) it doesn't mean to say that they are both as capable / have been exposed to the same amount of stuff and both warrant the same wage.
    The size of the company is also big factor which could go both ways - someone less experienced may be higher up in rank/salary just because there are less postitions in a smaller company...but then, a person who is right up top in a huge coporate company may know 'Jack'...but just know the right people and sit on their throne with a huge wallet getting all the nobodys' to do their dirty work whilst getting paid next to nothing.
    I felt I was underpaid in my old job because of the volume of work I had to take on...but in current job, the salary is a slight bit more - not much, pays a fair bit less than many similar jobs that are currently advertised... but feels totally 'right' for my skill-set...

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  8. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yes Leehaa, I guess we can't really draw any meaningful conclusions.

What I was trying to say is this, if I'm the 'average' person, well a career lasts 0-40 years, so I'd probably have at least 5 years quality experience. Look at those other surveys, average salaries for people in work are probably slightly higher.

The widely recognised average starting salary for IT grads is £24k for instance, being a starting salary thats not really an average for the profession, its nearer the bottom end I'd have thought.

ITJobswatch has average salary figures for 900 types of IT positions from £126k for CTO to £16k for Helpdesk Trainee. Obviously there are more junior than senior positions, but even so I'd say the average salary for the whole of the IT profession is above £35k in England.

In fact they have it at around £45k pa for both permanent and contract positions, making our figure out by as much as £20k.

9. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Yup - can see your point now :)

Edit: didn't mean to appear rude being so brief after your reply, but there are so many factors to consider and so many arguments....your point seems very valid....so, you win!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  10. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, so I do apologise if I'm regurgitating information.

£24K or thereabouts would be pretty shoddy on 5+ years of work experience, I agree. But keep in mind to vote on this poll you have to be a registered member of CF. 101 voters on a poll is a high turnout so to speak, but remember a lot of 'traffic' to this forum are people new to the IT industry. I think the £24K isn't a reflective average IT wage, moreover reflective of the wage you should expect in the first 3 years max. There are very few votes logged in the higher wage bands, obviously reflecting the higher level jobs of some people (I'm not going to even attempt naming names).

But I personally believe that if you re-polled, requesting the wage for those working in IT for, say, 2 years or less, the resultant average figure wouldn't change much.

If we had more experienced bods either on CF, or on CF and willing to vote in the poll, you may have had something closer to an industry average. But the onus on here is towards the entry level, and the poll quite evidently pulled a lot of entry level wages.

Just my opinion...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

It's also worth noting that we have a lot more junior people on the forum than we do senior people, and Ken assumed a cap of 65k,

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  12. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

100% accurate. Most people on here are representative either of those first starting out in the industry, or with a couple of years' experience and studying towards higher-value (allegedly) certs like the MCSA/MCSE. Also, statistical analysis is notoriously hard to get correct. For instance, being the sad nerd that I am, I have worked out the following:

Given that each salary band is taken as exactly halfway between the lower and upper ranges (e.g. 20k-25k is seen as 22.5k) and that the 0-10k is taken as 7.5k, whilst the 60k+ is taken as 62.5:

The MEAN of the sample is 24.1
    The MEDIAN of the sample is 22.5
    The MODE of the sample is 17.5

I would average that out at 21.4 - which i think is probably slightly more representative of the salaries people in that experience range would be looking at. Slightly less than the '35k a year' ****e that most TPs continue to churn out... :rolleyes:

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em