certain types of clearance

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zxspectrum, Jul 21, 2013.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

OK, so i have seen a job, which is IT related but states this

'Current SC Clearance will be required. Previous IT experience would be beneficial but not a must'

The wage is £17 per hour so im thinking this is too god to be true

Is the SC cleared part why the money is so good.

Anyone sc cleared in this forum. I know ive passed my 99 point check and also im CRB cleared, i dare say that SC clearance is more of a higher level of clearance etc

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

Security clearance can take time and money. I think there are different levels of security clearance as well.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Different levels of clearance about. Dev jobs with clearance can be £50+ per hour.

Your not cleared so they won't look at you in most cases.

4. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

As said clearance takes time, and depending on the level a decent chunk of money.

SC is relatively quick and cheap so it's not the money saving that's the attraction for an employer if you already have it, it's the fact you're ready to go. Which for a temporary/contract type role is what an employer would want.

DV is another step up where I believe the costs are quite a bit higher, plus it takes a while longer as it involves face to face interviews.

SC is just a simple form to fill in with not much detail required to be honest, trickiest thing for me was they ask where your parents are born but that's about it along with addresses from the last 3 years I think.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  5. Mr_Cellophane

Mr_Cellophane Nibble Poster

SC is one level in the MOD/government security model. Getting it takes 12 weeks and I think the cost to your sponsor (you can't apply directly) is about £2,500. The add says "current clearance is required" so if you haven't got it or you had it and it's lapsed, then don't waste their time. I applied for an SC role and the agent said loads of people applied and said "I can get it". I think he was getting a bit fed up by the time he called me.
    SC is different from CRB (or what ever it is called now). You can pass SC with a criminal record and bad credit rating. It is about your honestly. If you admit to everything in your past you probably won't have any problems. Hide even a minor mottoring offence and you won't pass. The form asks about your parents, where they were born/died etc and about all your financial arrangements so make sure you note all your bank/BS accounts and loans. As well as the obvious "Have you ever been a member of a terorist organisation ?"

£17 an hour good ? Well I suppose rates are lower up north. Mind you I have been offered SC roles for £11 an hour. I think those ones are still vacant. :tongue

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
    Certifications: MCSE, MCDST, MCNE, PRINCE 2 and ITIL
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi ZX,

I have SC. It's very common these days to get your SC from an IT Outsourcing company. I don't know many people in our place who don't have it due to the leveraged nature of such a company, working on restricted and unrestricted customer accounts interchangeably.

SC is not something you can gain on your own, a company has to sponsor you through it so unless the role says "capable of gaining SC", or doesn't mention SC, I would swerve it for now. I've seen capable of gaining SC on a few roles. This usually means as long as you don't have something terrible on your record like fraud or murder, the employer is willing to sponsor you for your SC.

Good luck job hunting
    James

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. Monkeychops

SC costs were nowhere near £2500 when I've gone through it in the past, due to how I went through it in one position we were offered it if we paid a fee (technically we didn't need it but the boss swung it so we could go for it if we wanted, looked good on CV as we were being shut down ;) ).

The fee was £50, and we never paid it in the end lol.

It didn't really ask much on the financial side, just I think have you ever been made bankrupt etc, didn't have to provide any bank account details from what I remember.

As said just be really honest, I stuck some driving points on there as whilst I was unsure if they counted (had expired long ago) didn't hurt to include them.

Have had it both through working directly for gov and also as a service provider to gov.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  8. Mr_Cellophane

Definitely need bank account details. I remember asking if I should include my french bank details.

9. Monkeychops

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  10. Mr_Cellophane

My SC was from the Met Police which is slightly more thorough than an MOD one.