Cert plan for 2007

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Sparky, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Following on from Cheeks thread in regard to certs for 2007 has anyone got an idea to what certs they would like to achieve next year? Also when you are setting these goals are they set in stone or are just going to see how it goes as the year progresses?

As the wife is away to the Boxing day sales (I said I would stay home and tidy the flat!) I thought I would skim over the books for the remaining MCPs I have to complete to finish the MCSE.

I have to pass the 70-282, 70-293, 70-294 and 70-297 to finally get the MCSE.

All of the exams look challenging but hopefully the 70-282 should not take too long as I have plenty of hands on experience with SBS and also I have covered DNS, DHCP etc in the 70-291 exam.

70-293 – Introduces clustering and certificate services. There is also Security and Group polices to consider which were covered in the 70-291 exam.

70-294 Introduces child domains and trusts. Active Directory admin, Group Policy and rolling out software is also covered which was in the 70-290 exam. Performance logs and alerts are also highlighted and this was covered in the 70-291 exam.

70-297 Seems to take all the concepts from previous MCPs and how they are to be used to devise a new network solution and also assessing the existing IT infrastructure.

I’m sure all of the exams will be a challenge but it does appear there is a logical progression as you pass each MCP towards the MCSE. Some of the topics in the books have been introduced in earlier MCPs and are now being used in another area. For example DNS and DHCP are used for network infrastructure design as apposed to just being ‘DNS’and ‘DHCP’ as stand alone topics.

Anyways I’m going to aim to try to complete the MCSE next year. It will be tough to pass 4 MCPs in one year but I think its best to set tough goals! :biggrin

I know this has been listed in Cheeks post but if anyone has listed what they hope to pass next year have you actually devised a time scale (apart from doing it next year) and looked at the objectives of the exam to see if it feasible to complete next year.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I always find when you make a plan things never really go to plan!:biggrin

Then again how can you stay focus on your chosen Certification path unless you have targets to focus on?

So my plan is to pass A+ in 2007 and move onto MCSDT.
    Hopefully Vista Office will be out by the time I start MCDST.:dry

Also hope to land a permanent contract at the end of January 2007, all going to plan.:biggrin

Something that does bother me at work is the Boss insisting A+ is a waste of time and that all staff should attend ITIL
    course?? I don't know much about ITIL courses, has anyone here done one??

I have got a NVQ and C & G in IT and they are not as valued/reconised as MCSE or Comptia.

What do you think?

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hmm plans for 2007

1. MCSA - one exam to go - now how many times have i said that in the last few days! :oops:

2. 70-282 - MCP

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I think you'll be waiting a long time, if you're waiting for Vista Office. There is no such animal. There's Windows Vista... and Office 2007... but no Vista Office.

Betcha can't guess what MY certification plans are for 2007... ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Is it in Webdesign, Here's a site that could do with some input:p :twisted:

6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Hmmm:hhhmmm Interesting Michael I see your offering:-

certification practice exams and IT career counseling, live and on-demand online training.:clap

Will this business be like Transcender (your old company):scratch

7. BosonMichael

It certainly will. :) With our experience creating exam questions, we feel that we are well-positioned to create the highest-quality practice exam questions available on the market. We're currently finishing our Vista Study Guide for Sybex, and afterwards, we will create our Vista product. We're also working on getting the A+ and Windows 2003 exams done.

And yes, the Web site will need some work before launch. We've got a portal developer who is currently designing our entire back-end Web infrastructure. Thankfully, that's not MY job. :)

EDIT: NOW you probably have an idea of what my cert plans are...
    - Create Vista Product
    - Create Windows 2003 Products
    - Create CompTIA Products
    - Create Cisco Products
    ...etc. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Impressive...most impressive8)

One question that comes to mind is how will you find the time to do all of this? You must have excellent time management skills or a device that freezes time:biggrin :D

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Has your boss done the A+? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. BosonMichael

The answer is...

...I'm not doing it all by myself. :) I've got great partners who also put their heart into this. 8)

In addition, we've got people (who have worked in the certification industry before) who are working on a contract basis for us. Products are being created as we speak, and we will pick up steam over the next few months.

12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

My Goal is to learn as much about 2003 Server, Exchange and gain MCSA (290 and 291).

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT