Cert Forum - Part II

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by InspClouseau, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InspClouseau

InspClouseau Bit Poster

Hey All

I read your dismal comments to my thread dated 6/12/07 and found the comments disparaging.

I did complement the forum on the design and I think whoever designed the forum did a good job - better than some of the forums I been too.

Ok, I was harsh in my original comment but let me explain as some of you may have superior but superficial lives :eek:.

You see I been unemployed since May 2006 (I was on a 10 months fixed term contract). My last female boss :cussing was a drama queen who use to haul me for weekly meetings to discuss my work. She must have received complaints about my work and attitude but I think I was treated unfairly as an office administrator.

For instance, how would like your boss asking you to provide a "to do list" to show at 1-1 meetings. I feel that demeaning but I complied like a dumb lamb. By nature, I am volatile, honest, abrasive maybe but fraternal. I took enough bull for bully boss that it affected my confidence. I deeply regret that I did not stick up for myself when I had several job meetings with her. I would advise people to always stand up for your diginity when someone tramples on them and not box in your feelings like I did in the past.

I would rephrase David Cameroon saying: "If your boss treats you like a fool, than he/she is not fit to be your boss". OK, I have have to langiush with the consequences in my last job and no one can help.

Getting back to my last post "Cert Forum", I said I may have been hasty in my judgement.
    I don't know most of you guys and I wish you well but have you been unemployed for over 18 months - the despair, the loss of self-esteem and the shortage of money! You wou be devastated like losing a leg or a hand :blink. Its a heavy cross to carry!

I resent people who are ageist and rude - that is ignorance. I am 56yrs but I go to the gymn every week.

I started on A+ and I honestly find it a bit boring.

Finally, my criticism is the way this goverment - 10 years still in power - harps about education, education, education without providing incentives for unemployed to train in A+ or CIW Web Design! This government treat people like fools - they dictate what you cannot eat, legalise cannabis and than make it illegal (lol), legalise Vegas style so that techies lose money gambling,etc,etc. People have a right to run their own flipping lives - we don't need bungling control freaks!! In short, we need Conservative Pary not a cloned-party like New Labour.

I dont have any grievance against CertForum only on politicians that run our lives. And I still say its difficult to get a job in UK.

When you are happy than its easy to repect others. If you have advice than feel free to comment as I think sound advice helpful.

Insp Clouseau :iagree

Certifications: BSc (Hons) in Computing & Statistics
    WIP: A+
  2. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Hey! What a very interesting read! You covered quite a lot of points there of which the majority I agree with! I'm not to sure that the Tories are the answer to our problems though. I used to think they were but one has to remain open minded especially when it comes to political parties!

Sorry to read that you had a bad time with your former boss. That is just terrible and I really hope that something comes up for you soon!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

While I sympathise with your situation (been in something similar myself), I fail to see the relevance between your experiences and your comments.

As far as I see the forum members have been nothing but helpful with their support and advice to you (and others) as evidenced in your first post here. All this in usually under an hour too.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

My boss does this to myself and my web design counterpart, i dont find it offensive i think its more of a way to keep track of progress so he can report back to his superiors. I also happen to know that his boss does exactly the same with him, as well as all the other department bosses.
    I can see how some people would find this disparaging, however there is a perspective that could say it keeps you sharp and keeps you aware of what needs doing (i find it useful as i have a lot of projects running at the same time)

really?? - im not sure these traits go together well, i prefer people who tell me as it is as i find dancing round the point and unnecessary waffle irritating. However im not sure someone who works in IT should be volatile and abrasive.. From experience i am well aware that dealing with clients is extremely annoying (Favorite quote - The Network Was Perfect Until We Allowed Users To Log On).

I do feel for you, i have known friends who have been unemployed for long periods of time and it is an extremely stressful time, there are days when i have had to spend entire mornings talking on the phone to them because they are so depressed, all you can do is keep grinding and looking to that point in your future when it all starts to click into place :)

Ok while i admit our government is slightly FUBAR!!! (blair was a little bit of bushes bitch) and to be honest all governments are the same anyway, they promise something and when they get into power its all, oh well i may have said that but meh whatever...
    I do however feel that your mention of legalise Vegas style so that techies lose money gambling,etc,etc is a little general, i cannot see how just because you can do vegas ?style? (online or in house??) it means that all 'techies', as you put it, are going to lose all there money.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  5. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

i think he's just frustrated, i know i would be

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  6. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

I can not comment on the politics because I do not live in the UK. This post however explains a lot off your previous post (maybe rant would be a better word).
    Getting a job at being 50+ can be very difficult. I got unemployed when I was 44 and got to hear that I was to old. There I was, highly educated (university) and lots of certs in IT (see my sig) and already written off.
    I hope you find something soon.
    Good luck with the A+ study. It can be boring as it could be seen as a dry summing up of facts. If you can 'enhance' this with some real (old) hardware it might be a lot less boring.
    If you have questions on that matter we are glad to help you.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Ok, so your situation sucks. I think we all sympathise with that. Firstly, lets deal with a part of that, If you are finding the A+ boring, then perhaps this isnt the line of work for you. Maybe you should think long and hard on what you want to be doing, because if it bores you, you arent going to enjoy it. You will end up floundering around in the industry, taking up jobs that people who are interested in could have been doing, and in the end it will get you nowhere. Maybe that sounds a bit harsh, but the point is that you need to be sure where you want to be heading, before you waste time and money on things of no interest to you.

I agree with nugget, Your post was openly hostile to the members of this site. It was akin to saying 'Nice decor, shame about the d*ckheads in the house!'. Your frustrations with work, and life in general are no excuse for you to act in that manner to the community on this forum. Its just not on, and you need to realise that lashing out at others just because your life sucks is just plain rude and arrogant. It wont get you anywhere in life.

Nothing in your post on this thread (I fail to see why it couldnt have been posted into the thread you so rudely posted in the first place) justifies your attitude towards the members of this forum. Nothing! We've been nothing but helpful, and you slap us in the face because 'boo hoo, i was treated like a child at my last job' and because you now are unable to find employment. Bear this in mind, if you act like a child (like you did in the last thread), you will be treated like a child. I sympathise with your lack of job at the moment. I went through a month of it, and it drove me wild, but thats no excuse.

Furthermore, you continue to offend members on this forum, again.
    Superior but superficial lives??? Where the hell do you think you are, that you can get off insulting members of this forum. You who have done nothing but benefit from our (excellent) knowledge and experience, and contributed nothing in return?

I may sound harsh here, but to be honest, I'm pissed off. You act like a child, and throw your toys out of the pram when things dont go your way. Grow up FFS! I'm sorry, but you lost the respect I accord everyone I meet by default. Go and sulk in the corner if you wish, hell, why not stamp your feet and hold your breath? Both are activities popular with the tantruming kids.

Start acting like a grownup, and you might actually start being treated like one.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I agree with Feragl and nugget, maybe you need to change your attitude a lot of people have bad times in their lives but don't moan about it. I am one of those people who had a bad time.

I grew up in care, found out it was because I was taken of my real parents because my biological father stamped on my head, due to me being born at 1.1 pounds and 8 weeks premature I was very very ill.

I had six foster families in 4 months and then 1 family I class as my real family.

But do I moan about it, do I blame other people for the bad start I had no I don't.

Get a grip man, grow up and you might actually be offered a job.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Guys, I suggest that we all hang back a bit to stop this from getting really personal. It looks like he was just having a rant and a bad day at the office (so to speak) and it went down the wrong way. I see that with this post he has offered an apology of sorts so how about we let it be before it gets ugly.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. InspClouseau

InspClouseau Bit Poster

Thank you Fergal for your rant.

I am sorry if I caused any offence in my first thread but I was trying to be cynical not malicious.

Now Fergal, you are a young lad from Scotland. Why don't you take the Scottish MPs who rule England back to Scotland. Don't you have your own parliament? Maybe, you could have a decent football team in Scotland not a losing team? Fergal, yours was the only post that was overtly hostile.

I am sorry if I am upfront but sometimes lifes depend on rulers that govern our country wisely. And, after 10 years, I still find the same old ideas.

Some of you mention what I have not contributed to the forum. The answer is zilch as I am new. I am studyng for A+ as a career change. Folks, tell me which post in all the forum is constructive :rolleyes: My only contibution at present on how to help the form is: why don't we have a chat room with a games room. That would be a good idea.

I will try to help in this forum if you wish me to but I am new to A+. I can help in Flash MX, HTML, Javascript if people request.

Before, I sign off, can I ask some advise or favour: I am studying Mike Meyer's A+ book. If I wish to pass A+ Essentials, how do I read the book? Start off from chapter 1, 2, 3 etc? Do I skip the A+Technician bit? I am now on chapter 4 on the book.

Clouseau

Certifications: BSc (Hons) in Computing & Statistics
    WIP: A+
  11. greenbrucelee

you read the whole book from start to end do not skip any of it, the exams wont differ that much.

12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Fergals post was not overtly hostile at all
    it was 'abrasive and honest' something you should be able to relate to apparently

and exactly WHAT has party politics got to do with your initial thread? or your second thread?

I'm not overly keen on jumping on top of new members, in fact I pull a lot of our users up for it, but you sir, have rubbed me the wrong way, and if this is the attitude you portrayed at work, I would of sent you packing as well

You want a fresh start, thats great, you want to work in IT, thats also great, but there are a few things you need to learn VERY quickly if you want to make it in this ruthless industry, you need to have a lot of initiative, this forum has helped countless people pass A+ yet your whining about not being able to find a constructive thread? what are you looking for a copy of the exam to read or something?

You are more than welcome to participate in this public community mate, I ask on behalf of our members and staff that you take a little more time to cool down before posting in a bad mood, rants are always a part of any community, but our members don't really respond well when its in the first 10 posts and aimed squarley at them, who in their right mind would?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  13. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I dont get you guy's sometimes, this guy is just looking for a fight

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  14. greenbrucelee

You can get a job if you want, you may not get a job you like but at least you have some self respect.

I was unemployed at one point for two years because I was only looking for jobs I Was interested in, but I eventually saw that this wasn't right. I got a job cleaning, then I got job putting lables on the packaging for bread the putting the bread on the shelves.

If you really want to earn money by working you can get a job, just because it isn't advertised in the paper or at the job centre does not mean it doesn't exist.

Why not write to places and enquire about positions they may have, you can get the addresses for the companies in the phine book or yellow pages and probably the internet.

Just to add I see your in London, you live in a place that is probably 10 - 15 times larger than where I live which is a rural community were manufacturing and farming are the most common jobs.

You have more opportunity than I.

15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I can't relate to the politics since I live in the US but I am over 50 and I have been out of work repeatedly (life of a contractor, I'm afraid), so I know what it's like. That said, even when I've been frustrated and depressed, I never took it out on the folks here (or anywhere else for that matter) because it has nothing to do with them.

I've been to quite a number of discussion forums over the past few years that this one is pretty much the most supportive and contains not only many people new to IT but some real subject matter experts as well.

As far as "attitude" goes, I often hear successful people (at least in the material sense) say "you need to have the right attitude" or "you need to change your attitude" as if "attitude" was a pair of socks or a shirt you could just take off and put on. Nevertheless, a person's outlook will determine how they view the world. Two people living in exactly the same circumstances but having two different outlooks on life will experience their lives in two different ways.

I've been too busy lately to really investigate how this "change of attitude" thing works operationally (as opposed to conceptually) but if you've got time on your hands just now, it might be a good place for you to start, Inspector. Cheers.

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  16. Tinus1959

That's exactly how I read it.

17. Tinus1959

I would read it all the way. It never hurts to have to much knowledge.

18. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

InspClouseau - re A+, I found this quite a big change after coming from a software devlopment background. Mike Meyers is a good book for cert preparation, but if you want a book that really goes into the depths of how PC technology works take a look at Upgrading and Repairing PC's by Scott Mueller (now at 18th edition). I read BOTH books during A+ preparation, and Mueller's is outstanding.

Also to make A+ study more interesting and relevant, work on real PC's during your study. I documented some projects I worked on my web-site :-

http://www.rossua.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/wsruacsc/apcert.htm

Studying A+ without applying what you are learning to practical situations can be very dry. Finding the solution to a challenging problem makes it all worth while - a cert is only a piece of paper (and I know as I've got three).

Re what you're saying about the 'female boss', I've been through the same thing mate, and I know what's its like. You're right about one thing though, ie. that it would have been better to stand your ground and stick up for yourself at those meetings. Just do it tactfully though... :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  19. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

InspClouseau, I'm sorry to have to point this out to you, but you are coming across on this forum as a very immature person. I suggest that you think hard and long before you post again :rolleyes:

Pete (52)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  20. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Guys, I hate myself for doing this, but...
    [​IMG]

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em