Cert first

Discussion in 'A+' started by metrock 66, Aug 15, 2008.

1. metrock 66

metrock 66 Byte Poster

Hi all,

Currently i am studying the A+ (self study :biggrin) and while searching the posts on the subject there were some that mentioned applying for entry level jobs while still studying. But i have decided (my own opinion) that i think i will first get the cert studyed and passed first before i start applying the reason?. I have applied for a few entry level jobs and all have stated 6-12 months experience and with my total non exsistant IT experience (currently unemployed FLT driver) it seems to me the logical way would be at least to have a regognized cert on my c.v so i have at least one thing i can take to possible interviews.

Any thoughts on this guys???

Certifications: None
    WIP: Just started A+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Sounds as if the job ads were misleading. Entry level implies no experience. If you have experience then it isn't entry level!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

With zero experience you may find it hard getting entry level jobs as a techie. The A+ is an excellent start to bolster your CV though you still need experience.

Suggestions for possible work to put down on your CV to accompany your new cert (when you get it) would be:-

Voluntary work in an IT related field - Probably your best bet. Ask if you can help out at your local school or college in their IT department for instance. Although you may not get paid for this type of work it will look much better on your CV having at least some experience with computers.

Customer Service Role - You'll find a lot of these quite quickly if you look hard enough and that's the beauty of them. These types of jobs help your customer service and personal skills which have synergies with IT support jobs (talking to second-line support, contractors etc)

Experience + Self study certs = A much better chance at getting a job.

Hope this helps. The very best of luck in your job hunting :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. metrock 66

metrock 66 Byte Poster

Cheers Qs, Its like the saying no experience=no job... No job=no experience i'll just keep pluging away, Like you voluntary sounds good gotta start somewhere eh.. There is no rush:rolleyes:

Certifications: None
    WIP: Just started A+
  5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

My pleasure. :) You don't have to have a huge experience base in order to do a 1st line support role (as I'm sure you're aware), the voluntary stuff is just to add some meat to the bones, so to speak.

Plus you'll probably find a lot of bits and bobs doingsuch work that will directly benefit you in the future when you have progressed to more 'techie' roles.

:)

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Certification isn't a substitute for experience. Even after getting certified, you STILL won't be qualified to get jobs that require 6-12 months of experience... because you don't have any experience. So the problem isn't that you're not certified... it's that you're going after jobs that are not entry-level jobs. Like Harry correctly stated, if a job requires experience, then it's not entry level. An entry level job is one where you ENTER the career field; thus, if you're entering the field, you have no experience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Wiz

Wiz Bit Poster

That is the dayside with these sort of things experience...although thats pretty much the same with any type of job it is.

Would experience count as studying with a trading provider or is it a general thing, not because ppl go on the self-study route?

WIP: CIW A+ N+
  8. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Personally, I would apply for the jobs now. But put on your CV underneath Qualifications/Education, currently studing for A+ along with the date the exam is booked e.g.

Qualification Pass Date

Comptia A+ Exam Sept 08
    BTEC National June 1996

My reasoning behind this is, you might as well apply for jobs now, what have you got to loose? The answer is nothing. When you pass your A+ continue to apply for jobs and state on there that your studying towards MCDST etc.

Without applying for jobs you will never get one, the qualification is pretty important but more so would be things like:

Customer Service Skills
    Communication Skills
    MS Office Knowledge
    XP & Vista Knowlegde

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5