Centos

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RECKLESS, Sep 18, 2011.

1. RECKLESS

RECKLESS New Member

Hey,
    I am looking to learn how to setup and run a web server the trouble is I dont really want to rent a cheap vps to play about with.

I was thinking would it fit on a extra HDD in my pc or would I need to buy a 1u to practice on ?

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

A standard desktop can be configured as a web server, CentOS or many other operating systems will allow you to do this.

1U is just a rack mounting measurement unit, its pretty much irrelevant to the question, the question generally is for small start-ups, self hosting, leased dedicated hosting or leased virtual shared hosting.

Leased virtual hosting is generally the cheapest for a real solution.

If you just want to play with stuff at home you can use a dynamic IP service and a desktop PC. It just won't be the most scalable or reliable. The biggest issues will likely be keeping uptime with a dynamic IP and a cheap consumer ISP and bandwidth with an ADSL line which is asymmetric and probably throttled / traffic shaped.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011