cd writer

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by celica_911, Jan 2, 2008.

1. celica_911

celica_911 New Member

Both my cd writer were not working properly so I went to the shop and bought a new Pioneer dvd writer. I unplugged the old one and puit the new one in its place. Put a CD into the drive went to my computer and went to open the CD and got an error which said I/O error. So I checked on the internet and found a program called RegCure which scanned the computer to find out what was causing the problem. But now there is no cd drives shown on the compuer. Can anyone help me !!!!!

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is it an IDE drive? If so check the master\slave setting on the drive. Also check all connections (power etc.)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Regcure will have amended or fixed a bad registry entry, if you have the drivers for this drive try re-installing them.

And also check the manufacturers website for update drivers.

And what Sparky said.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Also - some trojans disrupt the software stack for the CD/DVD drives.

There is a procedure here to remove the Upper and Lower filters to see if this fixes the problem.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Ive seen loads of problems caused by upper/lower filters like harry mentioned. Also check and see if the drives are listed in the BIOS when the computer starts.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Raffaz is right. One of my standard tests is to boot with a Win98SE boot disk and try and read a CD. If it can then the hardware is fine.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+