CCNP SWITCH: Configuring trunking

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by NetworkVeteran, Feb 27, 2012.

1. NetworkVeteran

NetworkVeteran New Member

One of the Boson Netsim simulator lab steps asks you to:

"On each (3500-series distribution switch), enable trunking for each port that connects to its neighboring (3500-series distribution switch). Use 802.1Q trunking."

I entered these commands:

interface range fastethernet 0/11-12
    switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
    switchport mode trunk

The simulator lab scored this as wrong. It said the correct answer was:

interface range fastethernet 0/11 - 12
    switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
    switchport nonegotiate
    switchport mode trunk

First, I believe my answer 100% met the stated objectives. Second, while there are advantages to nonegotiate (such as not wasting bandwidth on DTP messages) when statically configuring trunking, there are other ways to "improve" the configuration such as describing the link. Last, I'm worried if you do things the real Cisco exam simulator doesn't ask you for it may get confused and not give you the grade you want. What do you think?

2. keconnect sparky

keconnect sparky Nibble Poster

I would have answered the question exactly the same .... i mean had the question of said something like optimise the configuration on the port for trunking or some rubbish like that, sure, totally get it, mark me wrong,

But as it just says, enable and set this type of encapsulation, your on the money bud.

Certifications: MCP, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA-S
    WIP: CCNP (ROUTE)