CCNP route which IOS/Router?

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by millsie, Dec 29, 2011.

1. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

Hi all, I am currently looking to either purchase, or borrow routers and IOS to study for my CCNP route exam and was wondering from anyone who has studied/passed this exam, which are the best routers and IOS versions to use for all the labs etc during my studies?

Thanks in advance

Millsie

Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902
  2. marho

marho New Member

Hello, I am studying CCNP but without real equipment (I'm studying at school). When I started with CCNP, I made list with neccesary equipment. And approximately this is it:
    - router IOS must be 12.4, in no case earlier version (that means RAM at least 64 MB).
    - of course power, console, ethernet and WAN cables. How many depends on your creativity in topologies.
    - routers can be 3640, 2610, 2611XM, 2620XM and others similar to those versions
    - minimaly you need at least 3 routers
    - I think each router must have at least 2 WAN connector and 1 Ethernet.
    - if you don't want devices on the ground, then some rack (for example small 12U)

To the future (CCNP Switch), you will need switches:
    - 1x layer 3 switch, most common is C3350. L3 switch is really expensive
    - at least 2x layer 2 switch, most common is C2950

In CCNP Switch is some labs with PoE (Power over Ethernet) and wireless. I think, you don't need any equipment to this.

Best Regards, Martin

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP Switch (only netacad)
    WIP: MCTS Exam 70-680
  3. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

I would suggest 3x 3640 or similar running 12.4+ and a few additional routers BGP capable (2610's or better cheap as chips those). I would add to that 2x 3550's and 2x 2950 switches.

This is what I used and I found it perfect :).

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  4. certnerd

certnerd Bit Poster

I would buy 4 x 2611XM or 4 x 2621XM routers. 32Flash 128DRAM and either a WIC-2T or 2 x WIC-1T cards. IOS 12.4 Advanced enterprise services if you can get it. Just fits on on 32MB Flash. If you can get 1841, 2801 or 2811 routers then even better. I would stay away from the 29 and 19 series routers that have just come out as they can't be upgraded quite as easily ;-)

CCNP Switch, I would buy at least 2 x L3 switches and a couple of L2. 3550s are cheap but can't do private VLANs, so one 3560 and one 3550 prob best. For L2 you could use 2950 except for some IP SLA responder stuff. But the 3550 and 3560 could be used to set up SLA.

5. Adzmobile

Adzmobile Nibble Poster

I havent studied for the CCNP - I have been thinking about doing it soon as i enjoyed learning the CCNA very much.

One option could be to use GNS3 which might be a cheaper option then buying lots of switches and routers - it can get pricey very quickly! The GNS3 uses real IOS images and you can build very complex networks with it - possibly not what your after but thought would mention it just incase!

Cheers!

Certifications: Commvault Administrator, CCNA, ITILv3, CCA for XenApp 6, CCAA for XenApp 6.5, CCA for XenDesktop 5, CCA for NetScaler 9.2, CCA for XenServer 6,VMware VCP5, VSTP 5, HP SMB Storage, Citrix Certified Enterprise Engineer (CCEE), EMCISA, VCAP-DCA
    WIP: DCUCI
  6. certnerd

certnerd Bit Poster

GNS3 is a good tool, but if you don't work in the industry you need to have real hands on access to kit, as there are lots of little things that can trip you up in the real world. Last time I checked, GNS3 also doesn't emulate switches.

You can get some good deals on lab packages these days. Just make sure they only include what you need, some I have looked at in the past bundled a few older more obscure devices in them, I suspect just to get rid of them.

Just google Cisco lab bundles. a few come up