1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CCNP or MSc ?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by koych_123, Jul 28, 2008.

1. koych_123

koych_123 New Member

I am 29, live in UK and have CCNA and a university degree and work in Networking, although not entirely with equipment. Probably because of the middle age crisis I have decided to improve my career and study from september:) So applied for a few courses and at the end I have options for CCNP or MSc in Computer Systems and Networks.
    I really need help as I can not decide which one to get, and I have to pick just one of them. I already had the answer to get them both:)
  2. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You're sorta vague about how much real-world business IT experience you have. How much do you have?
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

The choice is really only down to you, if I was in your shoes I would go for the MSc for the following reasons:

1. Career progression up into higher management
    2. The MSc is higher than the CCNP on the NQF by several levels
    3. The MSc does not expire/need renewing, the CCNP does

But that is just me, and where I see myself in a years to come (everyone has a different view on where they want to go/do)...

Like BM already stated, how much experience do you have in IT? Where do you see yourself going? What area of IT do you want to work in?

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip