CCNP or CCIP?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by albertc30, Jan 12, 2010.

1. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Hello everybody.
    It has been 6 months and yet, I have failed to land a job on the IT industry so, as CCNA is quite sort of going away, kind of forgetting things, I am looking onto the next step and I am thinking about CCIP instead of CCNP as I believe that it will improve my chances of getting a job on IT.
    I would like everybody's feedback on this and also, I am looking into building a CCNA/CCIP ready Lab from eBay. What would be minimal and/or ideally for this?
    All comments well appreciated.
    Cheers,
    8)
    Albert, C

P.S: Forgot to mention that my CCNA was in Routing and Switching.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
    Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You'll probably know my thoughts, but I'll lay them out...

IMO, don't do it. You are banking on certs to get you a job, you are banking on the company to actually use Cisco kit and by the sounds of it banking on them putting you on the network straight away.

You've already made you're mind up about doing Cisco certs, so I'm not going to try to talk you out of it. What I will say is concentrate on the CCENT and CCNA for now, don't try to run before you can walk (so to speak in the IT field) with the technology.

As an IT manager, I wouldn't let someone loose on my server & network infrastructure just because they have a couple of cert and no experience. And I know quite a few IT managers who do the same.

Good luck with your studies :)

-ken

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Did you believe that as soon as you got your qualification you'll be granted employment straight way? I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but it can take anywhere from days to years (especially in this climate - the recession) to get into the IT field.

My tech was taken straight from school (he applied while he was in sixth form), whereas it took me approx 5 years, a mate of mnine took 10 years and I've known other who have given up... So six months is nothing really in the grand scheme of things.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. albertc30

5 years? 10 years? You are killing me mate.
    I am getting too old to wait for it and with this new rumour going around about retiring at age 75, I can only say that it is a long time till one retire and being stuck to a reward less and unsatisfying job for life is a reality and daunting thought.
    I know and believe me, I am grateful that I do have a job at all. It does pays the bills but it's just about it.
    I have done networking in the past in Portugal and I strongly believe that I could make it as self-employed, the thing is building up the courage to take the plunge.
    I think that age (32) is taking its tool, as I was allot more adventurous when on my earlier 20's.
    Anyways, I have already done the CCNA mate.
    I think that, if I don't do it now, I will certainly do it just before my CCNA expires as this is the requirement to do the CCIP.
    Guess I'll have to keep practising at home so that it stays fresh.
    One thing I do know. I shall not give in or give up.
    Cheers for the comment mate.

5. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

have you considered moving to where there are more jobs?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  6. morph

morph Byte Poster

wouldnt it be better to try and really concentrate on getting into a company with the possibility of getting into the network area ? Maybe you'll be initally doing somthing u dont want to do - helpdesk maybe...thats what i did - pal'd up with the network bods and helped out and got inovlved and then a trainee role came up and i got it - took me 1.5 years for that to spring up and it was out of the blue :)
    Good luck what ever u do mate!

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  7. albertc30

I have considered. But to be quite honest it scares the hell out of me.
    I have been moving around all my life.
    I moved from the Azores to Lisbon when I was 18. Then I moved to the UK when I was 25 and I couldn't have landed in a better place than b**** Great Yarmouth, about 20 miles from Norwich.
    The thing of it is, that in order to move, my wife has to move and it involves allot of other things as well that makes it quite but not impossible.
    Let's see what happens in the long run. All I can do is keep applying and wait. Meanwhile I shall keep my eyes in the papers and studying as well.
    Cheers.

8. albertc30

Absolutely mate, no doubts there.
    It is what I have been trying. I am applying to all sorts of jobs from the bottom of the ladder and some Network roles as a technician.
    It's just the steep in I am looking forward then surely I will work my way up.
    I think it is faire to say that I have been keeping it quite realistic as I have only applying for jobs around £16K to £22K even though I have people pushing me towards bigger pictures. We all know what happens when you climb too high and too fast. The fall is big.
    Cheers.