CCNP Certification Revised

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by sunn, Jan 27, 2010.

1. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Source Learning@Cisco (January 26, 2010)

"CCNP Certification Revised in Collaboration with Network Engineers

Greater Focus on Complex Routing and Switching and Network Troubleshooting

Cisco has updated its Cisco CCNP® certification for network engineers through a comprehensive process involving customers and partners from around the globe. The revision focuses on the competencies that are needed to plan, implement, and troubleshoot routed and switched networks and is designed to be more predictive of job readiness. CCNP offers a career development path for Cisco CCNA® certified network associates and a solid foundation for those who are interested in Cisco CCIE®.

The CCNP curriculum is designed for network engineers with at least one year of professional work experience who are ready to advance their skills and work independently on complex network solutions. The revised CCNP certification requires three 120-minute exams—ROUTE #642-902, SWITCH #642-813, and TSHOOT #642-832—that validate the key competencies of network engineers. The CCNP exams are expected to be released in March-April 2010."

Last day to get certified in the current material is July 31, 2010

See learningnetwork.cisco.com for complete details.

2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Good stuff. Think that will be better than the current way the cert is laid out.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I'm sure it 'sounds' better. The professional Routing and Switching certification requires completing a Route exam, a Switch exam, and a Troubleshooting exam.

I haven't looked into much detail, but my first thought is Cisco wouldn't waterdown the CCNP certification. That being said, there would now be 3 exams to cover the 4 being discontinued.

The ROUTE #642-902 is probably equivalent to current BSCI, ONT, and ISCW. The SWITCH #642-813 is probably equivalent to the BCMSN, while the TSHOOT #642-832 is sounds similar to the old format that had troubleshooting as a seperate exam - thus naturally it would be fit to be the last one to complete.

From a high-level, the ROUTE exam may be a beast.

4. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

haha that isn't what i meant by 'better'. I would not want them to make it easier, cover less topics or become any less of a cert. I just generally mean, it's not 3 exams, each pretty clear just from the name what the focus is.

bring it on!

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP