CCNP Bootcamp

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by moony1234, Aug 3, 2009.

1. moony1234

moony1234 New Member

Afternoon all,

Can anyone recommend somewhere good and reasonably priced to attend a CCNP bootcamp?

Don't worry I already have CCNP level experience, read all the material, got a lab etc so i'm not going into a bootcamp unprepared! I find the intense learning helps the info stay fresh in my head.

I've used Firebrand before but they are looking at nearly £8k for the CCNP which seems ridiculous when I can head over to India and do it for £2k.... I would rather have somewhere in the UK though.

Thanks,

Aaron

2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Speak to the people at CommSupport - www.commsupport.co.uk

Excllent tutors imho.

CCNP course : http://www.commsupport.co.uk/02_ccnp.htm

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. moony1234

moony1234 New Member

Yes mate I had stumbled across them on here but i've emailed, phoned and PM'ed them and got no response.... Not very good!!

4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Maybe on hols. Try phoning late afternoon or even early evening. I think the phone diverts to Joe's home and his partner Arit is usually there to take calls. Worth following up - the CCNA course I did was very good, instructors very knowledgeable and you had your own equipment to practice on.

If you get any more probs PM me and I'll see if I can get in touch for you.

Cheers (kev)

5. moony1234

moony1234 New Member

Well they do sound good!

I'll keep trying to ring them :)

Also the price is extremely reasonable...

6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

It is cheap but also "no frills" i.e. take your own laptop, lunch etc. :p

7. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Hello Moony1234

I know, looks terrible, I will have to take my belt off and start dishing out some "Joe" justice. I have PM'ed you.

The best person to speak to is Anthony, Arit now deals with other company thingys, I deal with technical doo-dars, if you want to ask me techie type questions best to get me on [email protected]

Hello, Darkstar, how's it going?, do keep in touch.

Cheers

Joe

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  8. oush

oush Byte Poster

To be honest looks like the class is a tad bit overcrowded, good training providers do not have more then 7-10 students in a class :S

Certifications: MCITP: EA, Linux+, CCNA, CCDA
    WIP: CCIP
  9. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Not at all m8. I can say as I've attended a course with them. There were 9 on my course and it was subject to a mxaimum of 12. All students had their own equipment to practice on too (2 switches and 3 routers).

10. cisco lab rat

Pictures can be misleading. London 12 seats / Birmingham 10 seats / Manchester 10 seats. Everyone has their own lab it to work with and our labs have been developed over several years to the point that there are very few questions when working through them.

Please clarify "good training provider?".

It is the skill and experience of the tutor of any lesson to be able to hold a class. Class size is almost irrelevant if the tutor knows how to put a subject across to their students. A good instructor must always be able to stay one step ahead to preempt any questions that may arise. Questions will of course crop up during the lesson but want we find is that the questions asked are normally at the tip of everyones tongue at that particular moment in time.

I find that it is the job of the instructor to be the one to ask the questions so that he is always able to keep the students always thinking and working to understand the point of the protocols and their implementation.

Let me put this thought your way, when was the last time you went into a university lecture hall and counted the number of students listening to the lecturer?, Understanding networking is not by a million miles more complex than teaching law or medicine.

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Let me put this thought your way - when was the last time you went into a hands-on surgery lab and counted the number of students? ;) If it were just talk talk talk, you don't have to worry about the number of students. But when you've got a lab, not just a lecture, class size is incredibly important.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. cisco lab rat

To a point true what you say but only if the hand-on labs are poorly designed, the lecturer has not explained the topic in sufficient detail and has rushed through the live examples.

I have spent a very, very long time writing and perfecting our hands-on labs to the point that to be honest with you it is not unusual to have the entire class of up to 12 in my case in london to complete a 3-5 lab excercise without requesting help, I don't think that is down to just the written labs, but also down to our style of teaching, I for one in the CCNA class never use slides for example, it is all chalk and talk, gives my students time to follow what is being said rather than being bombarded by power point slides.

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

A lab of 12 students is fine... but equating a lab of 12 students to a lecture hall full of law or med students is inaccurate; the analogy is incongruous.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. cisco lab rat

Maybe the analogy is a bit off 8)but my point is the quality of the teaching, the labs, the pre and post course material the whole classroom experience has to be structured so that the learning process is as painless as possible for the students and the instructor. If the prep work prior to the labs is spot on, by prep work I mean the lectures, if you get that right you can have 50 people doing labs at the same time.

I was clearing out some stuff the other day and discovered some old official cisco lab from 7 years ago on spanning tree, VTP and VLAN's a total of 10 pages compared to our 110 pages for the same topics.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009