CCNA with Skills Train. Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Max101, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Max101

Max101 New Member

Hi,
    I've always been into computers, 3 months ago I got lucky enough to get a job as an IT manager with no formal IT qualifications. Although I did have an HND in electronic engineering, the most I had ever done in IT was a small college course in web design.

After having spent 18 months at Uni doing network engineering only to discover the course was over-enrolled and hadn't enough PIX's/IP phones, I decided to quit, get an IT job and then start doing my CCNA in my own time.

I got a flyer through the door from a place called Skills-Train, so I called, got an appontment and then subsequently signed up to enroll. After giving it some careful thought I still want to get this qualification, but I think some of the promises made to me might have been over-stated. The lady I spoke to said that with CCNA I could easily get paid £30k a year, I would have no problem finding a job and that with my previous experience doing ccna at uni I could probably complete it in 8months if I tried hard.

The bottom line is, I like cisco, I like networking and I would much rather be doing that, than what I'm doing at the moment.

Can anyone with experience with this company, or this kind of program in the UK shed some light on the matter for me, because I have 2 weeks in which to cancel, should there be a cheaper or better alternative. This course will cost me £2700 over the next 3 years FYI.

I really appreciate any advice you could give me.

Kind regards,

Max

2. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Check out these threads.

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread5018.html

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread3494.html

Certifications: A few.
  3. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

£2700 for just a CCNA ?

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  4. Max101

Max101 New Member

Well, N+ also. Paid £75/month over 3 years interest free.

5. Max101

Max101 New Member

Could I also ask, has anyone had any luck getting decent jobs during or after doing a CCNA through the ST job portal?

By decent, I refer to experience more than anything, since that is what's needed for the really good ones.