CCNA vs CCDA

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by laup, Jan 8, 2007.

1. laup

laup Byte Poster

Was just wondering are these to certs based at same level?
    cause i saw on cisco website basicly u have to do another 10 modules or so specific in design after u do ccna to aquire ccda,

now i just spoke to my cisco intructor and he said they looked at by employers as same level cert surely this cant be right?
    anyone wanna enlighten me on the situation?

Certifications: IC3,A+, N+, 70-270, CCNA
    WIP: CCDA/Job :>
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yes, they're both at the Associate level. One deals with networking, one deals with design.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hi there,

From what I know about Cisco, they are regarded as the same level Cert because they are both at the 'associate' level (CCNA or CCDA). They are also regarded as 'entry level' with regards to Cisco technology knowledge - I don't think they should be confused with how the A+/N+ are also 'entry level', but neutral.

It depends on how much you want to study and know, as to what you do. I think generally the CCNA is seen as a hands-on Cert, for a tech that is likely to get a job in the future where they get their hands dirty. The CCDA is for a more office-orientated career approach. Theoretically :)

Because of my personal opinion towards study and the IT industry as a whole, I will be doing the CCNA/P, and then the quick 'conversion' to the design Certs. To have as much knowledge as I can cope with.

Whichever you decided, good luck with your choice!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

For what its worth, coming from someone whose CCNA expired two years ago :oops:, although the CCNA & CCDA are pitched at the same level by Cisco, I would think it would be very difficult for someone who has no hands-on experience with Cisco to go for a CCDA and be successful. It seems to me that the CCDA would be a natural progression for someone who has a CCNA & has a couple of years' experience and wishes to move into designing Cisco networks as well as supporting them.

I may be wide of the mark with that statement - I'm sure someone who is more of a hard networking bod than me will put me straight if I am - but it's never made sense to me that a 'design' cert is aimed at the same level as the entry level implementation cert.

It's sort of like the MCSE - no-one in their right mind would take their elective design exam before passing either AD or Network Inf!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Actually its far easier for someone with no practical experiance to go for a CCDA, a CCDA is primarily (if not purely) theory
    the NA is the hands on support side of it, a seperate skill set alltogether with more hand on requirement
    a DA will likely rake in more dough as pre sales and architecture pays more tha support, but i advise you do both as it makes far more sense to be versed in both aspects wichever path you choose and there is a fair bit of theory overlap

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. laup

laup Byte Poster

Yeah well im currently going through CCNA at end of Semester 2.
    I am hopefully gonna go towards the design side and hopefully get a job with BT :>
    Seems i better get the CCNA out of the way then and take a more specific role going toward CCDA then CCDP i guess.

Certifications: IC3,A+, N+, 70-270, CCNA
    WIP: CCDA/Job :>
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yeah, the DA was pretty easy... at least, it was back when I took it. A lot of theory... unlike the NA, you don't have to practice on Cisco devices to be able to pass (again, that was the way it was back then; it might have changed by now).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. NetEyeBall

NetEyeBall Kilobyte Poster

I thought I was going to try to study and take my 1st CCNP (Switching) test this month, but after cracking the book...I am back tracking for a moment.

I am going to study for the CCDA this month since I feel that it will be pretty easy to study up on it after studying and passing my CCNA. Plus it should help me firm up my foundation before I start my CCNP track.

Certifications: CCNA, A+, N+, MCSE 4.0, CCA
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Cisco Firewall