CCNA to CCIE timeframe question

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by GW, Dec 5, 2007.

1. GW

GW Byte Poster

Hey,

I was sitting around with a couple buddies over dinner and talking over certification goals, I'm currently working on my MCSE with plans for Cisco afterwards but one of my buddies is looking to start the Cisco route, his plan is to go from CCNA to CCIE in 5 years, do you think it is possible?

For instance, if you have a job currently where you work on some Cisco gear already (mainly a lab sort of thing but do some updating and minor config on production gear) and after getting your CCNA move to a company or position where you get more production exposure. Would you think 5 years is too ambitious or would it be better to plan for more 7-10 years from start to finish?

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's pretty ambitious, but it can be done, if he works actively in a large production environment where they use a lot of the technologies tested on by the CCIE exam. That's been my hold up... I've been working on Cisco gear for years, but I don't have much experience with it in an enterprise environment.

Set goals... but don't hold to them rigidly. You have SOME control over what you do in your job and where you are employed, but not unlimited control. Meaning, don't beat yourself up if you don't get there in 5, 7, 10 years. I'd recommend that you set out with the CCIE as your goal, and consistently work until you get there... regardless of how long it takes. Might take 2 years... might take 20. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Liqua

Liqua Bit Poster

In my opinion 5 years is about right.

All depends though on the aptitude of your friend to learning new material, amount of study time, and how understanding his friends & partner are - can be a lonely trek to a CCIE but ultimately the end is worth it.

Liq.

Certifications: CCNA, SND, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: CISSP
  4. Mardis

Mardis New Member

if you want to find examples of others from CCNA to CCIE, log in to Cisco website and read through others stories, you will be able to get a good time frame.