CCNA this summer - any tips?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Sco0t, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

Hello, been an avid watcher on these forums for a while. Thought i'd drop a post. Should do a bit of an intro first, eh: I'm Scott, currently in 3rd doing a degree in networking and systems support - fun! I had a few questions if anyone could help, at the moment I'm doing CCNP material at uni, coping with it fine, but wanting to sit the CCNA cert during the summer, any tips or invaluable resources & material you think is a must have?also what is ccna worth now (salary wise and job position) Also was is the sucess rate of getting a job with the ccna cert? Lastly I've seen comptia's certs for a while a+, network+ they worth it? Cheers.

Certifications: Bsc Net/Sys Support, HND Tech Support
    WIP: Network+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

With real world business IT experience? A CCNA can help you get a job as a network admin.

Without any real-world experience? The CCNA isn't worth much of anything without experience to back it up. Not lab experience... not classroom experience... but real-world business IT experience.

In fact, if you're not already in IT, the CCNA can make it MORE difficult for you to get your first job as an tech in IT, not LESS difficult. Entry-level jobs don't usually have anything to do with router administration.

The knowledge you're gaining is great... but it won't automagically make you qualified to administer networks.

No certification will get you a job. That said, with experience, having the CCNA is better than not having the CCNA. But without experience, the success rate of getting a job with the CCNA is somewhere between slim and none, and Slim's about to leave town.

For an entry-level job, they're absolutely worth it. In fact, that's where I recommend everyone start out when they're starting out in IT.

Best of luck to you!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

Thanks for the advice, definitely will take all your comments on board. Yeah, experience is definitely worth a lot that's what I keep hearing, but where would I be best starting - would I have to go along the lines of 1st line support or could I step into anything above that. Anyone have a similar situation. Cheers.

4. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Could you not get a job placement from your Uni?

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  5. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

Yeah there is some, a few which arent even relevant. You think they can help towards experience?

6. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

If you can get a placement from uni i would say its absolutely the best thing to do. (if it is IT related of course)

I managed to get a placement from June - January. Great for experience, and i believe it to be the only way i could of got the job i'm in now when i finished uni.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  7. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

Thanks for the advice guys, will have a look into it and see if I can get anything. Will keep you updated.

8. n/w_guru

n/w_guru New Member

me CCNP in city where there are no jobs at all thinkin to migrate. myself am busy in telocomm engg but 2 years to go for my degree.i feel my certification is all in vain

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

unless you can get a placement in a networking role then you would probably have to start at the bottom in a support role and progress as most people do.

And as said having high level certs the CCNA without the on the job experience can make it harder when looking for a job.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

definitely will take heid of your advice. Anyone had experience using prospects.ac.uk for placements (not graduate positions, just industrial placements)?