CCNA: Sybex vs Cisco Books

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Methodman85, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Hey Everyone,

Now I need some help with study materials.

I'm trying to decide between

http://www.amazon.com/CCNA-Certified-Network-Associate-640-802/dp/0470110090/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245352924&sr=8-1

and

http://www.amazon.com/Official-Certification-Library-640-802-Guide/dp/1587201836/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245352924&sr=8-2

Thoughts?

Certifications: MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, CCNA, MCDST, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Both. :)

But allow me to make your decision even harder: CCNA Preparation Library

I generally like these books as much or more than the "Official Exam Certification Guide" books... though either set would likely give you what you need. I would recommend that you look through each of them to see which method of presentation you prefer. Same with the Sybex.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Oh great :biggrin
    Alright sounds good, I'll head to the bookstore tonight and read a few pages. I was able to read a little of the Sybex one on Amazon, and I like the laid back approach it's written in. Feels like a person and not a robot.
    I can't view the Cisco ones though, so I'll check them out tonight.
    Thanks!

4. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

I liked the Cisco ones. Those are the ones we used for the college CCNA course, and the ones I've purchased since have been from Cisco, and they aren't that terrible to read.

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  5. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Sounds like two for Cisco.
    Didn't get a chance to last night, but I'll spend some time with all 3 of these books tonight!
    Thanks!

6. BosonMichael

Umm... all 5 of these books. :D The Cisco books come in pairs. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Lol thanks for the correction.
    I was wondering if I should do the two exams instead of the one.
    I usually take forever to complete exams, Microsoft ones anyways.
    The 291 took me 3 hours and 40 minutes, and I ran out of time on the 293 which I had 2 hours and 30 minutes to complete If I remember correctly.
    I'm thinking it might be a good idea.

8. BosonMichael

I would recommend doing the two separate exams. In the past, back when you had to take either INTRO + ICND or the single CCNA, I recommended against the two-exam track for the following reasons:

- You didn't get a certification for passing INTRO
    - The INTRO exam and the ICND exam each cost as much as the CCNA exam
    - The INTRO exam was MUCH easier than the ICND exam... leaving all the "hard" topics for the ICND... and with no "easy content" from INTRO to cover up any ICND weaknesses, there was more of a chance to pass INTRO, but fail ICND miserably.

Now that the new ICND1 + ICND2 exams are out, I recommend taking the two-exam track for the following reasons:

- You get the CCENT certification for passing ICND1
    - The ICND1 and ICND2 exams each cost HALF as much as the CCNA exam
    - The difficult content has now been spread more evenly across the two exams, thereby lessening the chance that you'll hit a brick wall with one exam or the other.

With those benefits and none of the drawbacks, why would anyone NOT want to take the two individual exams? :)

9. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

That's great thanks for the info, I'll definitely take the two! Makes more sense, and I feel it will allow me to learn the subject matter more completely.

I've decided to go with both of the books in my original post. The one you posted wasn't at the bookstore unfortunately.
    In addition, it's $66 CAD, and the other two combined come to $76, so that's 2 resources for $10 bucks more. Seemed like the best bet.

10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

ill just chip in and say im using the Cisco Press book for CCENT as well as the CCNA Command Guide - as im a firm believer that you should use a vendors books hence i chose to use the Cisco Press books. I know most people will judge on how the material is passed onto them but i think at the end of the day its down to the content and your willingless to learn it! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics