CCNA self-study... a few questions

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by penright, Jan 11, 2006.

1. penright

penright New Member

Hello,
    I’m interested in starting a CCNA self-study course. My background is in designing embedded software for VoIP media gateways (H248, SIP, MGCP etc). However, I could like to expand my general network knowledge and move into designing VoIP networks. I’m hoping that a CCNA will give me a start on this career path.

I have a few questions about the course. Can I sit the CCNA exam in the UK (London preferably) without attending a 5-10 day workshop/course. I would like to do this as a self study course over a 4-6 month period. Who can I contact about just sitting the exam and has anybody any experience of the amount of effort and costs.

I will ask my current employer for a few hours a week to pursue this qualification but I think they will be un-willing to pay for an actual course.

If anyone has gone through this route and has any tips or tricks please pass them on.

My first goal is to estimate the cost and time effort the CCNA will take.

Thanks

penright

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCVP
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi Penright and welcome to our world :biggrin

I haven't done the CCNA so I won't comment but I am sure others will be along soon (when they wake up) and will be able to guide you.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

open uni does CCNA but only once a year so you'll have to wait. But plenty of books etc are freely available

Yes, you can sit the exam without attending a classroom course

don't do it via self study without access to the kit... you'll fail

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Whilst I'm not a CCNA, it is possible to study for the CCNA through self study.

What you will need though is access to the routers and switches, for this I'd suggest building up a home lab, picking up used switches on ebay or the like.

As for study materials then look at the Cisco Press titles, as they are supposed to be good.

As Clive said the OU run a CCNA course that you can do in your own time, I'm not sure (Clive please clarify) but I believe that this course actually follows what is known as the Cisco Networking Academy Program, which is more and more often these days being offered as a course at local colleges, so you might want to check these out.

When it comes to taking the exam or exams, as you have the option of taking the two exam route to gain CCNA, you will need to register with either VUE or Prometric. These are the people who provide the test at their testing centres, and you will be able to specify one local to yourself when you come to book the exam.

8)

5. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

hi Simon, yup OU uses the cisco networking academy structure, with access to real kit via the web, plus 3 days of classroom tuition and a 1/2 exam voucher, all for 330 quid..

top value...

and it counts towards a degree..

only problem is its once a year ...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  6. penright

penright New Member

Thanks for the information.

Is it feasible with my own lab and a fairly dedicated approach to get through the exam without a course? Has anyone done this recently?

penright

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCVP
  7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

If you have the skills and the right background knowledge then there is no reason why not.

8)

8. oilovlam

oilovlam Bit Poster

You don't necessarily need a lab.... although if you've got the space and the wonga then it would be nice.

You can also practice the Cisco CLI commands on a simulator (Boson Netsim worked for me) or rent router time on-line (Mindtech racks have been recommended).

Also I like the CBTNuggets videos (a gentle introduction), they are the next best thing to instructor tuition (someone on Ebay may even have a copy!). But supplement these with books on the sections you don't understand and for more general reading.

And above all, enjoy! :p

Certifications: CCNA, 70-270, SCJP 5