CCNA Security 640-553 Passed and Reflection

Discussion in 'Network Security' started by MysterioMP, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MysterioMP

MysterioMP New Member

Hi everyone,

I just passed the 640-553 exam with a score of 911/1000.

The study material that work for me was:
    Beautifully Written "Cisco Press - Implementing Cisco IOS Network Security (IINS) (Self-Study)(2009)"
    Ctb Nuggets 640-553 with Jeremy C
    Cisco.Press.CCNA.Security.Lab.Manual - used with GNS3
    *Transcender 640-553 - Fantastic for Exam Prep!*

If your like me and can't afford expensive Cisco equipment, GNS3 will be good enough to complete the labs from from Cisco Press manual.(I only used Packet Tracer for a layer2 security lab)

If I was teaching this Course to a student, I would tell him not to rely on the "SDM wizards" for building things such as VPN's, ZBF or IPS. Rather to become the Wizard and build them manually using the SDM and learn how it ticks.

Transcender is a fantastic study tool that Does NOT rely on brain dump's but rather tests you on your understanding and helps fill in the holes with detailed explanations if needed.

I bought the Transcender prep kit for $139 which come with a 3 year license and 2 computer installs. If anyone is interested in using the second install I'm asking for half what I paid for $69.

Feel free to PM me.

Good Luck on your exam everyone! Study hard and earn it :)

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...except you can't legally use the Cisco IOS with GNS3: link

You've purchased a non-transferrable single-user license from Transcender... meaning, you can't legally sell your "second install" to someone else: link

"1. Grant of License. Transcender hereby grants to you (an individual) the revocable, personal, non-exclusive, and nontransferable right to install and activate the Software on two separate computers solely for your personal and non-commercial use. Sharing this Software with other individuals, or allowing other individuals to view the contents of this Software, is in violation of this license. You may not make the Software available on a network, or in any way provide the Software to multiple users, unless you have first purchased a multi-user workstation license from Transcender."

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. MysterioMP

MysterioMP New Member

I can independently transfer my Workstation from Transcender...

"1. Grant of License. Transcender hereby grants to you (an individual) the revocable, personal, non-exclusive, and nontransferable right to install and activate the Software on two separate computers solely for your personal and non-commercial use. Sharing this Software with other individuals, or allowing other individuals to view the contents of this Software, is in violation of this license. You may not make the Software available on a network, or in any way provide the Software to multiple users, unless you have first purchased a multi-user workstation license from Transcender."

Anyways... if anyone need's help to setup GNS3 I'll be more then happy to help. Don't pay any attention to BostonMicheal posts.... his brain is on overloaded from storing too many <snip - Sparky> and his ears hurt from all the <snip - Sparky> he's been downloading :P

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2010
  4. BosonMichael

But you didn't purchase a multi-user workstation license from Transcender... because the price you paid isn't anywhere close to the multi-user workstation license price.

First off, I don't do the whole braindump thing - I work for a legit practice exam provider, and alleging on a public forum that I use braindumps is a libelous statement.

Second, I don't do the whole illegal music thing. I'm not a perfect individual... but I don't steal intellectual property.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

In case you didn't realise, BM used to work for Transcender and probably wrote most of the material in the exam prep you have.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Brave, Brave man! you don't want to be walking down that path! BM Is a BD slayer and I don't think he would appreciate any attempts at discrediting his integrity...... although it would take more that that to tarnish his rep if you bear in mind his 19,019 posts on CF and career experience creating exam resources!

...................... Well done on the pass, and thanks for sharing your post certification opinions, it really helps! hopefully ill get on this in about a year after i get the CCNA and finish MCSE! :biggrin

7. Unemployed Diogenes

Unemployed Diogenes Nibble Poster

LOL!!!! 19,019 posts in 4 years on a internetforum!!! :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Bachelor IT
    WIP: CCNA
  8. BosonMichael

Thanks, Asterix.

Dunno where his unfounded attack came from... I try to protect him from two legal problems, and he unwittingly launches himself into a third one! :blink

I find it hard to believe he doesn't already know who I am or what I do... after all, he's posted on this very forum that he's used Boson's NetSim before.

And getting paid to do it. Beat that!

9. MysterioMP

MysterioMP New Member

Honestly...BosonMichael your such a tool! God I can only imagine how anal you are the real life. I’ve never noticed you before on CF because unlike you I have a life and your hermit presents on this site doesn’t evolve around my existence. Quit masquerading on this site like your special, your certs and knowledge are probably BS anyways. Now GET OFF my thread!!

10. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Is it because he is right that your so cheesed off?

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  11. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

Wow... So glad you are a part of CF (sarcasm). With all that BosonMichael has done to help others in their quest for certs, I highly doubt you are going to gain any support from anyone on your stance.

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  12. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

This post has been dealt with by Moderators.

Please move on - nothing more to see here.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  13. BosonMichael

Unfortunately, the libel remains.

14. Unemployed Diogenes

BosonMichael
    MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    Served proudly, US Army, 98C Intelligence Analyst, '89-'92

You've got all these certifications and then you spend the whole day on a forum???? :p

15. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yeah, very good....

Can we stop all of this please?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  16. Unemployed Diogenes

J/K :biggrin

dont wants troubles with anyone!! just a joke..

17. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

No probs..

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs