CCNA questions that has been bugging me!!!

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by vakupa, Oct 21, 2007.

1. vakupa

vakupa New Member

hi guys and girls..

i have just recently joined this lovely forum!

i have been doing IT support Roles for about 1 and half years now, and now i have started my tutor-based CCNA course in Sheffield,(England) which i will finish around July '08. My questions here are:

1) Is one and half years in Desktop/1st Line support Roles enough experience for me to launch a career in CCNA, or i need more??

i have had a look at some of the CCNA job requirement and i have seen job ads asking for CCNA with MCSA/MCSE/RHCE/Checkpoint,Linux/ITIL :eek::blink experience.

2) im so confused, i dont know where to start, i guess there are no jobs that requires someone who has got only the CCNA Cert, i have to get more, including windows!?!:eek:

many thanks

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You say you have desktop/1st line experience. How much experience do you have with networking, or with administering Cisco devices?

Companies don't typically want someone who can just play with Cisco gear... they want someone who can administer their network... which includes more than just Cisco stuff.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. vakupa

vakupa New Member

in IT Support roles, you never get a change to tinker around with complicated stuff like the CISCO routers, no way!! - hence virtually no experience for that, but this tutor-based CCNA course has got a lot of hands-on labd, rather than simulations so i think that may help me a bit... :confused2

4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Do you have cisco equipment where you work? also do you see yourself being promoted to an assistant admin or admin and managing cisco routers and switches? The thing is, yes, it's a good knowledge to have, but like Michael stated if you don't have any experience managing a network its going to be hard for you. Also what I would do is start learn more on networking with the network+ certification. It will give you a good base and since you already have 1 1/2 years of experience in first line support, it should not be too difficult. From there work your way up untill eventually after a few years of experience in networking you can do your CCNA confortabley and at least you'll know then what networking is all about.

You see I am in the same boat as you, I also have a little over a year in destop support, I don't manage networks and servers, however little by little I am getting there. It's a matter of patience.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Hmm... are you quite certain? Especially considering I myself got a chance to tinker around with Cisco routers when I was a systems administrator... in fact, that's the way many others got their networking start as well.

Getting "experience" in a lab environment is quite different from getting "experience" in a real-world environment. They're two totally different things... and hands-on coursework is not considered as experience to an IT manager. A course isn't going to magically give that to you... it just won't. And certification without experience is quite useless.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!