CCNA, physics and mathematics

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by stupot, Jul 14, 2005.

1. stupot

stupot Bit Poster

Hi folks,

Question for all CCNA's out there.

I'm reading the Cisco networking academy program companion guide at the moment getting a bit of a head-start for when i start a CCNA course in a few weeks. Now reading chapters 3 and 4 i have come across a lot of subjects that are very new to me - must of been snoozing in my science and maths classes at school!!

Now i've read these chapters, read them again then re-read them and i understand what i'm reading however (bear with me i'll get to the point in a mo). There are some subjects that i'm not 100% confident on. especially :- reflection and refraction when talking about fibre optics, spread spectrum when talking about wireless LANs and logarithms and calculating decibels connected with cable testing.

Finally my question is this:- Are these fundamentals that i really need to know, in which case does anyone know of any sites or additional info regarding them or should i just carry on reading and these subjects will become clearer as i study more?

Apologies for the long winded post (oi wake up!)

Certifications: Cisco IT essentials I
    WIP: CCNA, N+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I don't recall having to do those sorts of calculations when I took the exam but they didn't have a wireless component to the CCNA then.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

Bear in mind that the cisco academy and ccna syllabi are different. Your best bet is to get both from the cisco website and compare...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

A lot of the stuff that is in the CNAP books is just background information.

Stuff that they want you to know for the academy, but that is not needed for the CCNA.

If you want to go for the ccna after completing the academy course then I suggest using alternative resources to that of the academy books.

8)

5. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Simon

Thanks for that - I am doing the Open University's T228 course in a year or so as a 30 pointer towards my degree and as I just failed my CCNA :( :cry: before I started on the long road to a B Eng I really do want to nail that HORRID exam just once in my life. Then plan to do 1 of the 4 CCNP exams a year to keep my CCNA. :D