CCNA People

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by Peter, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Peter

Peter Byte Poster

Hi guys,
    How many people are doing the CCNA I have not long started it and about 1 third through the intro.

Certifications: Elec & Eelc Eng A+
    WIP: CCNA-CCNP
  2. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I'm doing it if you need a study buddy.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  3. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I'm scheduled to start the INTRO class late next month, but I've already been studying/reading. I managed to snag a copy of Boston Netsim and started the CCNA labs.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Is that Boson Netsim?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Yes it is, sorry......Ihad just finished a rather large bowl of clam chowder and had "boston" on the brain for some reason.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hi Peter,

Although I'm not persuing the CCNA Cert I am doing the CNAP as part of my degree and am about to start Semester 4 in September.
    Speaking from a personal point of view I'm finding it hard work, esp. the amount of irrelevant things they expect you to know in the official book.
    Still, If I wasn't prepared to be challenged I wouldn't be working in IT right?

8)

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

No worries, TG. I just thought you'd discovered a resource I'd never heard of before. :wink:

8. Jonathan

Jonathan Nibble Poster

got the exam on tuesday

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP BSCI
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

If that means you are sitting the CCNA exam on Tuesday, good luck to you, m8. :)

10. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Yes good luck indeed.

I've booked mine for Sept 30th.....

11. Jonathan

Jonathan Nibble Poster

Unfotunately it ended up in a fail so plan b now!!!!. I was suprised though at how many questions there were on a particular topic! AT least 35 so if you didn't know that topic inside out you were in trouble. Bits of the exam I found very easy and bits are really tough the way the questions are worded. The actual exam questions are really a step higher than any practice exams that I have tried.

Going to book exam for 2/3 weeks time.

12. Peter

Peter Byte Poster

Sorry to here that jonathan, and good luck with the resit,

Certifications: Elec & Eelc Eng A+
    WIP: CCNA-CCNP
  13. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Is it an adaptive exam?

I heard that around 50% of people fail the CCNA exam first time

14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Just keep in mind Jonathan that certification tests pull from a vast database of questions. When you do your retake, it may not resemble the previous test very much.

15. stupot

stupot Bit Poster

Yep CCNA for me to, I start the course proper in about 6 weeks but have read about 2/3 of CCNA 1 & 2 companion guide so far. There's a hell of alot of info to take in, especially if your new to networking.

Be interested to know how much in the companion guide is relevent or included in the exam!!

Good luck all those taking exam soon, let us know how it goes!!

Certifications: Cisco IT essentials I
    WIP: CCNA, N+
  16. Jonathan

Jonathan Nibble Poster

I know I concentrated doing to much on my lab instead learning more theory so am going through each subject in much more detail. As am confident on my actual implementation side of things. I'll give you an update in three weeks time, but having read about many nightmare scores on ccna for first-timers today(lquite a few under 700) on the web today my failure score has given me some confidence.

17. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Sorry to hear that, Jonathan, but at least you're picking yourself up and getting right back on. Good luck with plan B :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  18. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I took the old CCNA test. I used the Boson NetSim and the Cisco Press books--a 3 book set for study. I spent about 40 days prepping for the test. That's 40 8-10 hour days as I had never worked with the Cisco IOS before. I also used the Selftest Software exam prep tests for practice tests.

I used the NetSim until I could configure vlans, switches, routers, routing protocols, etc... in my sleep. I designed several different networks using the NetSim and got them all to work. I then took my test and got something like 96% on it first time through. (Only missed two questions.) It's not that difficult a test if you're really prepared to do hands on work with Cisco routers and switches, and understand how to use the protocols.

The CCNA test was the only one I went into with sweaty palms. I'd heard so many stories of people flunking it that I was prepared for something monstrously hard. When I finished I couldn't believe how easy it had been. I thought it was a piece of cake compared to 70-216 and 70-229. They were both much harder tests for me.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  19. Jonathan

Jonathan Nibble Poster

Plan B worked passed the single exam today some very tricky questions. :biggrin

20. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Excellent news bud. Congratulations!!! :p :alc

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2