CCNA Part time

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Tom1991, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Tom1991

Tom1991 New Member

hi guys,

i recently got my self in to an apprenticeship, i start university in September but both my boss and myself would like me to get a CCNA cert in the time up to September, Ive done CCNA discovery and passed all the 4 moduals so have some knowledge on CCNA but with all the millions of websites advertising "5 day boot-camp guaranteed pass" and other people saying "study at home" im having a tough decision on what to do. i work 4 days and have 1 day for study so i just need advice on what to do weather it is a boot camp, study at home or do one day a week at a collage. i would actually like to learn the stuff rather than just have the cert. any advice or opinions on what i could do or where is good to do it would be much appreciated.

Regards Tom

2. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

Get some hardware - it looks easiest to ebay CCNA LAB and spend something between £150 to £200 (to get a C2950 switch and a couple of routers)

Get the Todd Lammle CCNA book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Todd-Lammle/e/B000APOJ5M/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1357211022&sr=1-2-ent

If you already have a decent understanding of TCP/IP and ethernet, that lot will get you through the exam without too much hassle. Home study is definitely the best option IMO.

To get a better understanding of networking in general (and this makes your Cisco life easier in the long run too) get Niall Mansfield's Practical TCP/IP - it's 10 years old and so refernces Windows NT networks a lot which is annoying. But it's still invaluable.

To get a good view of all the essential Cisco bits that the CCNA lacks (it lacks a lot of stuff that a working engineer needs to know about) I recommend Network Warrior by Gary A. Donahue

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  3. Tom1991

Tom1991 New Member

Thanks for the reply, ive got enough kit at work so i wouldn't need to get any more. also got packet tracer from when i did my previous Cisco stuff. you dont know of any interactive stuff as im not too good when it comes to sitting down and looking at a book, there was a really handy interactive guide online when i was doing the discovery with lots of little questions and tables to complete when reading the info.

4. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

I'm afraid I prefer books, so I'm not your man on that question. In this instance Lammle is much more readable than Cisco's own (very dry) materials. So CCNA is one of very few courses that even book-haters could work through dead tree style.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  5. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

You can get things such as CBT nuggets videos, but I would say you still need the book also, to do both in parallel.

Then beyond that there is the Cisco Aspire game, think that's what it's called, I shared it on here some time ago!

The books will always be the key/core requirement IMO though!

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  6. parman05

parman05 Byte Poster

Wish I could find a lap for that price. They seem to be higher right now.

INE is giving there ccna video stream for free now.

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCTS WIN7 (70-680), MCITP WIN7 (70-685), MCSA WIN7, Linux +,LPIC-1, Novell CLA 11, SUSE 11 Tech Spec, DC Tech Spec
    WIP: 70-640, 70-642, security +, CCNA