CCNA or CEH or CFI ? help

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by glasgowgolfer, Nov 4, 2011.

1. glasgowgolfer

glasgowgolfer Bit Poster

Hi All, i have a bit of a Dilema i hope someone out there can help in some way!!!
    i was a Network Engineer for 7 years , got fedup of being on call every 2nd weekend so i got out of engineering for 3 years...now in that time my CCNA has lapsed...i now find myself out of work and basically looking to get back into engineering ... now i know Voice is big and so is Security....do i
    A. Resit my CCNA
    B. become a CEH
    C.Become a CFI
    i am looking to become a contractor or perm, im based in Glasgow but for the right money will contract in Iran,Iraq,Arghanistan basically somewhere were i can make good money, ...i have been studying CCENT to gently get me back into things but feel maybe CEH might be the answer, i just need some advice from you guys who are out there doing it @ the moment,
    if i work in Scotland i wud be happy with 28k
    but contracting abroad would obvsly be better.....below is a list of my qualifications..i have also added i wud be recertifed as CCNA this month.... have sent out my CV to loads of agencys but after a few months still no joy....sorry for the long story but just wana hear wot u guys think.....
    cheers in advance......8)

• Cisco CCNA (Oct 2001) (re-cert expected Nov 2011)
    • Certified Breeze COM Engineer CBE-A2 (Dec 2001)
    • All 3 TCP/IP Modules (March 2001)
    • ATM Workshop Part 1 & 2 (March 2000)
    • CompTia A+ Certification program ( Hardware/Software support ) (Dec 1999)
    • CompTia A+ Core Service Technician Exam (Hardware - Nov. 1999)
    • RSA Logistics Control Certificate (May 1986)
    • SCOTEC Certificate in Vocational Studies (May 1984)
    • SCE O Grades in the following:
    Arithmetic (C) Technical Drawing (B) Woodwork (B)

Certifications: CCNA Comp tia A+ , Juniper , Extreme.
    WIP: CEH , CHFI
  2. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

Do you hold any current Security clearance. S.C or D.V? If not mate, I'd forget about contracting in Iraq or Afghanistan. There are lots of companies out there who will take you on if you can tell the difference between a calculator and a Laptop, but if they have to go to the time and expense of getting your clearance for you it can be problematic.

Cert wise having previously completed the CCNA in the past, if I was you I'd just dive straight in to the new 640-802 material, possibly looking afterwards towards the CCNA Security rather than the CEH.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  3. glasgowgolfer

glasgowgolfer Bit Poster

Cheers Billyr, i have been swatting up on the CBT Nuggets and some examcram stuff, age must have slowed me down as it seems tougher now than it did when i 1st passed the CCNA, also subnetting is still my achilies heel...:x

Certifications: CCNA Comp tia A+ , Juniper , Extreme.
    WIP: CEH , CHFI
  4. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.