Ccna/mcsa vs ccnp

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by raaamcomputerman, May 20, 2010.

1. raaamcomputerman

raaamcomputerman New Member

I have my CCNA and am currently a Junior Network Engineer with two years experience, I think I want to move into a Network Admin position somewhere and i know I will need a MS cert to do so. However, i have been told i will be in much better standing by going for my CCNP. Only issue for me is that i sort of lose interest in the cisco stuff when it goes too deep. I like knowing a lot of different technologies. Ideas?

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: CCNA
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Simple, if you lose interest in the cisco stuff when it goes too deep then the CCNP isn't for you.

Also the CCNP and MCSE\MCITP are for two different job tracks doing different roles. You either want to administer Windows Servers or Cisco equipment (of course the roles aren't mutually exclusive but you get the idea).

I had to choose between Cisco or MS and I chose the MS route because it interests me more, I had my CCNA but didn't renew it, I now find myself in a job where I am playing with a lot of new MS tech and I love it, would I feel the same if I were using Cisco now?? I don't know.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. raaamcomputerman

Hi, thanks for the reply, great advice. I do think that once it gets to CCNP its not a case of me not having the willpower, its just lack of interest. I have my MCDST already from a previous job in desktop support but no experience in the MS admin field. This is something that scares me as I am already in a good networking job, I just dont want to leave it too late before I make the change, how likely am i able to get a job in MS admin with 2 years networking as a ccna with an mcsa but no admin exp???

4. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

MCSA with no windows server admin experience is a risky move, the lack of relevant experience damages your job chances.

Is there any chance of spending time shadowing the server techs at your current job? If you do that you can gain some of the experience and knowledge you need to then get the MCSA and make the jump. It also gives you an opportunity to make sure that server admin is a good fit for you.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  5. raaamcomputerman

Yes that is exactly what I am trying to sort out now, the only problem is that our MS server stuff is outsourced from us so I wont be able to get involved, its quite a large company though so I am trying to see if theres any hidden admin teams in house. I can get some experience in the UNIX server team, but they are not MS related and nothing to do with any MS services. Dilema...

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's when you need to decide whether it's worth it to make a switch to a similar position in a company that DOESN'T outsource the server work. If I were in your shoes, I'd do that.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!